Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help Help Help 2006 VE on going saga it's dead

gazzat

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve 3.6L commodore omega automatic
So am I reading it right, all these problems started because your old alternator was charging upto 16V, so you bought another alternator?
hello No the abs and traction control 1st appeared but since they were only to do with driving experience i never worried about it. Then one day i heard a very quite chime coming from the P/S kick panel or there about so i put the scanner on and got a code of P062225-00 alternator 'F' Terminal low voltage so i brought a new alternator because at times it was going up to 16v, so i slapped a new one specified for ve's. All seem to be going ok and then it started to get slower whilst cranking and the air con motor was slowing down so i looked on here and a large percentage of people was saying check the battery check the battery the ve are known for electrical problems due to the battery, anyway i checked the number on the battery and found out it wasn't good enough so i brought the recommended one for the ve and installed that and then 2 days ago just driving along chimes and bells started and got displays saying,brake fluid low,radio went off, ac went off, air bag warning system came on and some other stuff. So i waited for a little while till a backup battery arrived and jumped started it via the post under the bonnet and only had to drive about 3klms to home and its been parked since. So i have checked output from the alternator post and always only showing battery voltage ,not charging. when i turn the key to on for a few milliseconds all the dial on the IC go backwards then to there normal positions and the little green windows disappears for a few milliseconds as well, also (key off) i press the button and enter engineering mode to check whats happening but then when i turn the key to start the screen disappears and the comes back on with the "WELCOME' screen and starts it systems check, its like when i turn the key to start there is a total electric disconnection and the it connects itself to a fresh key turn, like i just turned the key on, weird hey. cheers

gazzat

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve 3.6L commodore omega automatic
Just because the posts are there under the bonnet doesn’t mean jump starting from another car is ok to do.

Those posts have other uses and diagnostic testing is one of them.

Using a jump pack on the posts provided is fine because the jumper packs have electronics in them to limit voltage spikes. A safe method to start the car when battery voltage is low.

Let’s not forget to check that positive cable at the firewall behind the glove box. They can be loose. Has a black cap over it.

Make sure fusible links are good. Check relays (preferably with a relay checker) and make sure all fuses are tested for continuity across each side.
as i say i am a 67 retired sparky and not dumb. i never once quoted about jump starting from another car i mention from another battery and once again some 6 figure salary guy got paid to come up for this reason, and gm built them so use them, i get so frustrated when i see people jump starting cars and the put the leads battery to battery so all you are doing is making the flat battery suck the power out of the charged battery, fine put the positive to positive but then put the earth as close as possible to an earthing point on the motor and as close to the starter as possible. I have gone to help people stuck on the side of the road and they can't get the car started, so i go and have a look and yep what have they done, so i gran hold of the jumper leads and i can hardly hold them its a wonder the plastic hasn't started to melt, anyway i hook up the leads as described above they turn the key on and bang instant start,now those poles on the ve are there for a reason and yes one is for diagnostics because they couldn't even design a car to fit the battery up the front of the vehicle, secondly it is positioned right above and as close to the starter as can be for maximum current flow. Now i know you probably have not read every one of my post but it is annoying now but yes i have checked the lead going thru the firewall and yes the battery voltage is exactly the same as the jumper poles and the output post on the alternator. i have checked EVERY fuse that i can possibly find and i have checked all relays that i can check with mt relay checker except for some tiny 4 pin grey ones but according to the literature they have nothing to do with my problems, but not saying that one of them could be welded together inside and causing a problem but my checker does not have the slots to insert those mini relays. cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The positive battery cable on my VE Calais had good voltage across the bulk head terminal. It was still loose though.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
no mate, when i switch on the battery light comes on for its normal check the exextinguish
Then to me that suggests the alt is putting out charge. When mine stopped charging, albeit for a different reason to yours mine had flashing lights as I drove it home, to where I could fix it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Then to me that suggests the alt is putting out charge. When mine stopped charging, albeit for a different reason to yours mine had flashing lights as I drove it home, to where I could fix it.
The flashing lights…
police-lights-cops-reveal-rear-view-mirror-005d823mwm4lknj9.gif