Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blaupunkt VY/VZ Removal Tool

Discussion in 'Car Audio' started by Torquative, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Torquative

Torquative Sports Economy

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
    Does anyone know where I can buy one (or 2 ) of these Blaupunkt "U" Hook removal tools for the VY/VZ stereo's?

The reason is because Ive brought a 6 stacker to replace the single disc, but I would like to be able to switch the stereos at my convenience (well more like when the car needs to go back to Holden to have a faulty antenna replaced under warranty)

I know the first thing that'll be said is that Holden wont grant the replacement because we've put an "aftermarket" unit in that wasnt purchased though or installed by Holden

At least if I'm able to pull the 6 stacker out and put the single stack in when the car needs to go in I'll be worry free.

Any help or ideas ;)

2. you can use a pair of U's made of coat hanger wire.
    they work fine.

3. Torquative

Torquative Sports Economy

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
    we've been trying that but havent had much luck

Is there anything else that needs to be unbolted or removed, or are you supposed to be able to just put some wire into all 4 holes and the radio slides out??

4. Tasmaniak

Tasmaniak Not a valid input....

Members Ride:
    VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
    Coathanger in...radio out.

Slide them in until the click.
    Lean them out and pull forward as you do it.

It takes about 5seconds to change over a VY-VZ Blaupunkt radio....and it literally is 5 seconds

5. Phreddy

Phreddy Bye SV6 - still love you

Members Ride:
    VS-II Statey-8
    I ended up bending a slight "kink" about 8mm from the ends of the prongs - when you stick them in point these towards each other. It helps to get a bit more purchase on the locking clips, and tends to stop them pulling out. Lean outwards before you pull on them, as 12Voltking said, and it literally is a matter of seconds!

Here's a pic of the wires I use.

Cheerz!

Attached Files:

6. Tasmaniak

Members Ride:
    Ha! I have the ORIGINAL Blaupunkt keys.....takes me about 20 seconds with them!

Use my trusty coathanger....5 seconds....go figure huh? LOL

7. commexec

commexec Guest

What the hell is the trick to it?? Do you have to disconnect the battery?? I have tried all that coat hangar bending and measurement stuff and still it won't come out. :b: :b:
    Just about to throw it all in :cry:

8. Tasmaniak

Members Ride:
    You leaning them outwards as you pull?

9. Do you hear a ¨click¨ as you push them in? If not then you may not be pushing them in far enough which means the head unit will still be locked in place.

10. commexec

commexec Guest

They are in as far as they will go. I don't so much as hear a click, but I do feel the latch(?) being pushed aside when I put the wire in. I am leavering the wire ourtwards (towards the doors), but all they do is slip straight out once I start trying to pull the H/U out.

11. commexec

commexec Guest

any more ideas???

12. Tasmaniak

Members Ride:
    Yeah, if you can feel them latch....your not leaning them out hard enough...You almsot need to be brutal with it.

13. commexec

commexec Guest

i was "brutal" with it but no joy. The wire (coathanger) just bent out and then slid straight out. It wasn\t hooking on to anything. I had it bent nearly 90 degrees outwards. Gues I am going to have to bite the bullet and get someone to remove it for me. :(

14. TehFastyOne

TehFastyOne New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS V Utility
    Didn't anyone tell you the Blaupunkt system was designed by Asians?

They thought the 'Chinese Finger Trap' idea would go down well when it came to putting aftermarket head units in.

15. Tasmaniak

Members Ride:
    You do need to use the THICK coathangers. Why do you need to get it out? If you only want to get to the wiring loom...then DON'T remove it. The loom is easily accessed by removing the glovebox and then undoing the two swcrews on the side of the transmission tunnel....it's the thick loom wrapped in black tape with a 6pin whit plug taped to it (the mobile phone connector)

I can send you a pair but WOW there $45 a throw mate......

If your really stuck, get someone to do it for you.

16. commexec

commexec Guest

Why??? Becasue I have a Pioneer DEH-8450MP H/U that I bought in 2003, from my old car just sitting here collecting dust and I want that in there. Besides, when I bought the H/U it only cost me half the price (got it in Dubai) and I will be getting an amp and a couple of subs to go with it. Going for a stealth install in the boot, so I can still use the boot for everyday things.

17. Phreddy

Phreddy Bye SV6 - still love you

Members Ride:
    VS-II Statey-8
    Hey Commexec.

The King's right - you have to be pretty forceful - especially the first time it's removed anyway.

Use the thick coat hanger wire, and preferably the annealed finish stuff (silver-grey coloured plain wire), not the painted ones. (the steel in the annealed ones seems more rigid - doesn't bend as easy when you're leaning out on the wires)

And did you bend the little "kink" in the end as I did?? I guarantee you, I was in the same boat as you when I first tried removing the H/U - the wires just kept pulling out. Once I bent the kink in the end of them, they work perfectly! As has been said before, literally a matter of seconds.

Don't lose heart! You'll get there!! ;)

Cheerz.

18. commexec

commexec Guest

Yeah I tried to the kink in it, but it just straightened out or did nothing. I have to wait now until I get to work so I can get some decent steel rods that I will make into two "handles"

19. nickg

nickg Guest

i have a vy one tonner and am looking to go mp3 the easiest way. what is your opinion of fm mod stackers for sound quality etc. i was thinking of putting it in the space cab somewhere and getting the power from the 12v in the centre console and removing the panel as you described to get to the aerial as i to am having little sucess with removing the unit with the coat hanger technique.

20. RichardW

RichardW New Member

Removing the Headunit

As previous people have said you need to be forceful. I have removed mine twice now and both times had really big problems getting it out. Both times I have been removing it with a professional car stereo installer. The installer has removed heaps of them and said that mine is the hardest one yet to remove. Some seem easier than other to remove, the first time it took us over 30 minutes and the second time it took around 20 minutes.

You just have to keep at it, all you are doing really is pushing in 4 pins to release the unit, best thing to do is use bent coat hangers as all the other people have said, but use 2 people, put the 4 hangers in wait until they all click then all at the same time pull the hangers to the side of the unit (left for the ones on the left, right for the ones on the right) and jiggle them about.

Both times I did it this way and we thought we were getting no where and just when we were about to give up the unit popped out. Having 2 people seems to help alot.

Hope this helps.