Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bloody concreter

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
From waht i hear he should have sawn some control lines so the slab so if it moved it had somewhere to go.All he has done is some cosmetic lines as you would see in the foot paths.

the lines should hit dirt... should be literally differnt slabs of concrete...afaik.

aZk.

FusionX

Reaction score
For the finish, it definetly sounds like his fault.

But the crack will come down to who did the initial ground work. If he just layed the slab and someone else or yourself did the compaction, then the crack won't be his problem. Everytime we do a job, we always do compaction tests and document it before anything is layed.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
as for the cracks....what can you do? we had our house slab and shed slab and verandah slab rear veranda slab and granny flat slab all layed at different times over about 2 years.....now they all have cracks in them....not little one some are biggish but yeh all concrete will crack, it also depends on teh foundation aswell.....clay....sand.....etc....where we are we have "H: so that meant allot of concrete had to go in but it still cracked.il

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Did you say he only used a small amount of reo?.

This sounds like the guys that did a spot for us, In a few weeks it started to crack and fall apart.. He left the area.

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
We orgainsed the excavaction,he did every thing from there,gravel,reo,every thing.
Our friend that prepared every thing for him does this for a living as his sons do slabs for housing.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
in victoria you can take a lot of small claims matters to VCAT. they have a fairly clear charter for what you can and cannot bring through them, so check out their website.

i suspect you can, in this case. from the way you've described it, it seems likely they'd see your side of the story.

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
in victoria you can take a lot of small claims matters to VCAT. they have a fairly clear charter for what you can and cannot bring through them, so check out their website.

i suspect you can, in this case. from the way you've described it, it seems likely they'd see your side of the story.

Thanks for that,will have a look at the site.:thumbsup:

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Why take it that far? I can understand your ****ed off about it cracking but whats going to court over it going to do?

You say you've used him b4 and he did a good job, yet you bring him back and it doesnt go to plan and now its court time...

Australia today, america tomorrow...

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Did you say he only used a small amount of reo?.

This sounds like the guys that did a spot for us, In a few weeks it started to crack and fall apart.. He left the area.

Not all slabs need reo ya will only need reo if you are putting heaps of weight on it so that will have nothing to do with the crack at all and can anybody find a cocreate slab that doesent crack ??? Im a bricklayer and have seen house slabs with cracks in them befor we brick the house up.

Plus you have to remember with the dry weather the ground will shrink then when it rains the ground will swell abit so what will the slab do ?? it will crack.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Why take it that far? I can understand your ****ed off about it cracking but whats going to court over it going to do?

You say you've used him b4 and he did a good job, yet you bring him back and it doesnt go to plan and now its court time...

Australia today, america tomorrow...
I agree. Honestly, slabs crack for reasons other then poor workmanship. Maybe the ground underneath sunk. Maybe you left the hose on one night and it soaked the soil beneath it. Maybe it still has a slight amount of moisture. You had it poured in April which is coming into the cold months, it probably didn't even have a chance to dry and now that it is getting hot the slab is expanding/shrinking.

Seriously, deal with it. As posted, I don't know what you are expecting the courts to do. Did he offer any sort of warrenty with his work? Cos if not, case closed..