Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

blowing smoke under power

Redy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK executive
Hey guys

my vk seems to blow smoke when i put my foot down a little its a 202 motor and i think its on its way out my mechanic said 1 of my cylinders is not fully working properly

its white smoke, not sure if it has some blue in it, but i was wondering is it blue smoke or black smoke that is bad? and what would be the cause its a carby motor and i've had the carby redone with a kit and chemical cleaned ect not to long ago

any advice be great thanks

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
White smoke is water, blue smoke is oil, and black smoke is fuel.

White smoke. Is it using coolant? i.e. Are you often topping up the radiator?

Blue smoke. Is it using oil? i.e. Are you topping the oil up often? What oil are you using?

Black smoke. Are you using more fuel than usual? Have you changed the air filter often? When did you last put a new set of plugs into it?

How many kilometers? If high, could just be worn out and a change over engine or re-build might be needed to fix it.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
either way its up for a rebuild, a new set of rings and gasket kit put through it

Redy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK executive
it does go through the fuel and it does use a fair bit of oil, but it doesn't blow black smoke just whitish/blue can't really notice the blue to much tho

and the oil i use is shell helix 20w50 only recently did a oil change, i know i need to change petrol filter and it does leak oil not sure where, and it is a old motor say 250+k's i reckon it is up for a recon motor i would say

can get a done up 202 for $1000 then have to either install it myself or pay the mechanic who looks after my car,

not sure weather to get the 202, v6 or a v8 don't have much money atm cause of xmas ect, but hopefully in the new year i'll have a bit more and will decide then i guess

thanks for the information :)