Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blown Ignition fuse

south123

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore
Hi Guy's

Went to pickup my new to me vy berlina today and lo and behold I get 2 kilometers up the road and it dies, so managed to get it to the side of the road,, and call the car yard where I bought it from, they were very good sent a guy out straight away he changed the ignition relay still no go next he changed the fuse fired up first kick he then took it back to the car yard for electrician to have a look at tommorow.

I am pretty sure that the fuse he had in his hand was 7.5a I thought a ignition fuse would be heavier than that, I do not have the books with me to check the correct size can someone check for me also is there a known issue with vy's or commodores blowing ignition fuses, and if so what is the reason could a faulty relay blow the ignition fuse, The previous day I took the car for a 100 kilometer test drive not a problem all he did in the meantime was have the engine bay washed and detailed.

thanks in advance for any replies

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
Ignition relay should be in the engine bay on the drivers side. Also could be a fuel pump relay amongst other things. Maybe they got over excited washing your engine bay and water got somewhere it didn't like.

south123

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore
Ignition relay should be in the engine bay on the drivers side. Also could be a fuel pump relay amongst other things. Maybe they got over excited washing your engine bay and water got somewhere it didn't like.

They put a new fuse in and the ignition came on and all good, they took it to an electrician today and he couldn't duplicate the problem the sad part is twofold the car does only come with wccg warranty which does not activate till the company handling the warranty receives the paperwork, a few days, also when I checked the car over he said I could take virtually where I wanted for a test drive, I took it for a approx 100 kilometer test, not a problem, can a crook relay cause a fuse to blow and also just before the car died the areial was going up and down and because it runs on dual fuel the lights on the lpg guage were blinking anyway hope they find the cause.

south123

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore
They put a new fuse in and the ignition came on and all good, they took it to an electrician today and he couldn't duplicate the problem the sad part is twofold the car does only come with wccg warranty which does not activate till the company handling the warranty receives the paperwork, a few days, also when I checked the car over he said I could take virtually where I wanted for a test drive, I took it for a approx 100 kilometer test, not a problem, can a crook relay cause a fuse to blow and also just before the car died the areial was going up and down and because it runs on dual fuel the lights on the lpg guage were blinking anyway hope they find the cause.

Hi guys a further update on my fuse problem, dealer took the car to auto electrician could not find anything wrong as he was leaving he switched to gas and the car blew a fuse, ok so it's lpg related , took it to lpg place and he said lpg diaphram has had it and something about the solenoid which was blowing fuses anyway long story short car ran fine on the way home but went out to start it tonight it idles rough, any ideas what it could be.

thanks

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
does it idle rough as soon as its started, or only once it has switched to lpg? is there a difference between hot and cold starts? some cars will default to lpg depending on the system(car can automatically switch from petrol to lpg depending on rpm/engine temp/simple timing mechanism), and given u already have problems with the lpg side of things...that could be it.

if the car yard got some nutless monkey to pressure wash the engine bay(which is extremely likely)... chances are that there will be electrical gremlins running about until all the fuses and relays in the engine bay have completely dried out...it should be covered under warranty regarless.

just keep taking it back until its running the same way it did, when u test drove it

south123

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore
does it idle rough as soon as its started, or only once it has switched to lpg? is there a difference between hot and cold starts? some cars will default to lpg depending on the system(car can automatically switch from petrol to lpg depending on rpm/engine temp/simple timing mechanism), and given u already have problems with the lpg side of things...that could be it.

if the car yard got some nutless monkey to pressure wash the engine bay(which is extremely likely)... chances are that there will be electrical gremlins running about until all the fuses and relays in the engine bay have completely dried out...it should be covered under warranty regarless.

just keep taking it back until its running the same way it did, when u test drove it

Thanks for the reply, yes it runs rough when I first start it from overnight, then it improves the more you drive it, the gas place apparrently put a kit in the mixer I wonder if the adjustments are right or does the throttle body need a clean. The gas system was put in 10 years ago.

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
Thanks for the reply, yes it runs rough when I first start it from overnight, then it improves the more you drive it, the gas place apparrently put a kit in the mixer I wonder if the adjustments are right or does the throttle body need a clean. The gas system was put in 10 years ago.

My falcon does what your commy does, runs like a pig until she warms up, there's not heaps you can do to get it running well when cold, because gas when it is in the tank is a pressurised liquid which also means that it is cold, so that it won't want to vaporise properly, that's why the converter has coolant lines to and from the motor, the hot coolant helps vaporise the gas properly.
Also be aware that every ten years the gas tank has to be tested by a test station other wise a defect is in order

south123

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore
Also be aware that every ten years the gas tank has to be tested by a test station other wise a defect is in order.

Thanks for the heads up, the tank needs to be stamped by november so I will make sure its done, before the fuse started blowing it ran perfect, purred like a kitten, I just went to the shops on gas and the check engine light came on stopped at the shops when I came back out and started the car it said system check ok and I drove home, I think it's running rich and the o2 sensor gave me the check engine light.