Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue LED Dash Conversion

DeanVTSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series 2 SS
On the weekend I had a go at this, I changed the A/C Controls & the Mode button. The cluster will happen some other time.

Worked pretty well, much better to look at then the green, brightens the whole dash up.

I used Nail Polish remover on the A/C controls worked a treat. But on 1 line on the temperature gauge I removed a little bit of the white paint. Wondering if anyone has repaired this paint before? I noticed on some of the pics that have been posted I’m not the only on with this issue :)

Also on the A/C controls has anyone changed the globes on the A/C button & rear demister, is a resister required on these?

Also the Mode button seams a little dull compared the A/C controls. Is there paint to remove from the buttons? I was thinking of wiring up 2 or 3 LED’s in there to compensate this. Currently I have 1 5mm in there.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
DeanVTSS said:
On the weekend I had a go at this, I changed the A/C Controls & the Mode button. The cluster will happen some other time.

Worked pretty well, much better to look at then the green, brightens the whole dash up.

I used Nail Polish remover on the A/C controls worked a treat. But on 1 line on the temperature gauge I removed a little bit of the white paint. Wondering if anyone has repaired this paint before? I noticed on some of the pics that have been posted I’m not the only on with this issue :)

Also on the A/C controls has anyone changed the globes on the A/C button & rear demister, is a resister required on these?

Also the Mode button seams a little dull compared the A/C controls. Is there paint to remove from the buttons? I was thinking of wiring up 2 or 3 LED’s in there to compensate this. Currently I have 1 5mm in there.

I placed only one LED in my mode button. I guess it depends on what angle the LED is pointing at behind the MODE button. For mine, I did as deserthead suggested, and filed down the tops of the LEDs to disperse the light a bit more.

As for the backing, I am not sure what you could do. Maybe some diluted white paint of sorts can do some magic for you? On my cluster, I left the backings as is without modification. Will get a new some day.

Steven M

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX BERLINA S2 V6
Well here is the catalogue number of the blue led's that everyone has been using. Super Bright Blue 8000mcd $2.99ea (Z3907) and if you buy 10 they should be slightly cheaper.

Anyways does anyone know if this can be done with white leds like the new mercs and hondas have.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
I personally see no reason why. If you still have the original green backing on it, I suppose it may come up 90% white and 10% green.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
U can do it with any colour.

But seeing as blue is already pretty bright, if u go white, u may need sunnies when u drive at night. . .

Personally I'd like to see a red install done. Like in the Mazdas.

Sprawler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S/Wagon
Hey guys,
just started trying to convert my globes to blue LEDs, but stuffed up the tolerance on the resistors, ending up burning them out. so just a warning to anyone else trying this the specific colours for the resistors are blue grey black - brown (not gold, heh), thats right isnt it? for anyone that has done it

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Gold is just the variance in resistance. Gold = 5%+- difference I think. Did you get the 540ohm resistors sprawler? I'm fairly sure that's what they were... Might make a difference I don't know.

Hmm.. I just tested the resistance across a spare resistor I had left and it was only 300ohms. I'm SURE the jaycar guy told me 540ohm, and I thought that's what he gave me. I didn't check to see what they were, I just hooked one up to an LED, put 12v across it and it worked so I went with it. I got lazy and didn't check the exact values.

MyBerlina, what resistance were your resistors?
Sprawler, those colours are right for a 540ohm resistor, not sure about the brown for tolerance though, I have no idea what +- that is.

Sprawler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S/Wagon
tis alright, i figured out that it wasnt the tolerence but the watts, i got the 1/4 (the little tan ones) where i should have got the 1/2 (the little blue ones).
I have got it all installed now, ran into a little trouble with some not working so just rerouted via some wires and its all good. I will try and get some picts up some time tonight/tomorrow

Sprawler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S/Wagon
oh well, i have no idea, still ended up burning them out, I give up :/