Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue LED Dash Conversion

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
WinterVX u could always buy a plain white face fasica scratch all the green paint off and use that blue transparent paper with the stickey side 2 it i was tellin u bout b4 wen u were doin ya rear window switch if 1 layer isnt blue enough 4 u, u can always add on another layer till u think its good enough and not blinding ur eyes lol

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Was thinking of suggesting that before I read wrx's post. It would work equally as good for a fraction of the price.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
i used it on mine use prolly couldnt even tell lol but the blue was a lil 2 bright 4 my liking after i took the green paint off, so it helped with that. Also in some batches of LEDs u may find a few that have a tinge of green in them the blue stuff makes sure everything is all 1 colour then 2.

lockmac

Reaction score
anybody know how to replace the LED in the ignition barrel (as in what do i take off to get to it)... and also the gear shifter and trac and power lights (cannot find out how to take these out)

many thanks:thumbsup:

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
The shifter lights and power/traction buttons are going to be a pain in the arse. The whole centre console has to be removed to gain access to this area... I know cause I did it on the weekend... just not for lights thou seeing as I broke the shifter button going from drive to park in a moment of madness. Thats another story :yeah:

The power and traction buttons are tricky. I think it may require that you remove the top section (the part with the lettering on it) so that you can position the LED. Not completely sure.

The PRND123 section has been posted previously somewhere in this mamouth thread.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
The power and tractions buttons u do them exactly the same as how u do the hazard switch u dont need 2 take the button cover off but is best 2 so u dont get it damaged. As 4 the Auto, Myberlinas right u have 2 take out the centre console not hard 2 do 8 screws all up and 2 nuts inside the console itself, 2 screws down beside the seats (u have 2 slide them right back) and theres another 2 same sides behind those panels and the others u will see wen u take off the console surround.

With the ignition barrel all u have 2 do is lower and pull the whole steering wheel 2wards u as far as it goes, then i think theres 1 screw inside the fuse box under the bottom steerin cover. the top cover just pops off just held on by clips and the bottom 1 u just pull towards u (after the screws out) then u can slide the barrel surround 2wards u 2 get 2 the light.

lockmac

Reaction score
i just had a go at the ignition barrel then... i got the covers off and got the little rubber bit off but is the whole thing meant to come off? because i dont really have any room their to be able to take the globe out and solder a LED into their...

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
just the ring around the ignition barrel itself comes off the barrel stays where it is the ring has the globe in it just wiggle it out and unhook the globe

lockmac

Reaction score
cheers mate... just did it..looks great. what do you suggest to keep it in place? is a bit of glue a bad idea?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
na mate good idea use some 5min araldite thats how i do mine its 2 hard 2 use the old globe holder this way it works fine and if u do eva need 2 change it u can