Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue LED Dash Conversion

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
yer it is a pain in the arse lol as 4 the bearing infront of the circuit board there is only 1 bearing there with a smaller spring than the other 1 and the bearing just sits on top of that if u have the switch sittin up right the bearing and spring goes up the top, that 1 usually comes out pretty easy if ya drop it or knock it as it uses the circuit board 2 hold that whole bit in place.

with that metal bit ur talkin bout i know wat u mean it is hard 2 explain wat it is haha but it has like 3 pins stickin out kinda thing ay??? 2 pins point on the left side kinda ona downward slant and the other 1 on the other side just sits where eva u put it n should b on the right side kinda facing upwards a lil hope that makes sense 4 u i have a couple spare with me if ya still get in the **** lol n cant fix it ???

that bit attatched 2 the dash, is it part of the light switch itself?? like the light switch housing u could call it???

Infanti

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
never mind about the other bit that was still attatched, i got it off, i saw the clip underneath but didnt think it was a clip at first. again, its all hard to explain but it all right not, if there is a problem with the metal i'll take it out and have a look what you mean, it the moment its just put back together however it went on, i didnt try lining anything up or anything. Thanks for the advice, i'll post up some day pics when the dash it painted and some night pics of the led converstion when i get the digicam back...cheers...

Infanti

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
ok so i got one of those instrument facia upgrades and chucked it in, looks good during the day but at night it ****s around with the led conversion. Now instead of getting a rather even spread of light with little hot spots, i get these massive aqua hot spots and not enough light around the bottom (0km and 220km, etc)

What can be done to the face plate to fix this problem????

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
how many LEDs did u put inside ur cluster in the speedo section only?? is it only showing aqua coz u still have the green on the back of the dial facia? my advice is used more LEDs i ended up using 8 LEDs in just the speedo alone and set them on a 45* angle dont let the face directly foward at u as u would more likly 2 get hotspots even wen u have filed the heads.

Infanti

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
I put 5 in the top and one in the middle bottom for the window... is there any ya can put down around the okm and 220km marks...
here is a picture of the back that someone else posted...where are the other green ones located, i know alot of them are for the warning lights and stuff...

Also if anyone has put one of the facia upgrades in there car did you pull the plastic wrapping off the back of the facia before putting it on, instructions say nothing about it but i think its effecting the lights spread a little.

WRX can ya post a picture of what urs look like.....

Cheers

Attachments

• cluster diagram.jpg
    cluster diagram.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 1,502

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
Here it is the blue LEDs r circled blue tho i am workin on another cluster 4 some1 and its a better way again 2 light up the cluster and much cheaper. The yellow circles r the yellow LEDs 4 the kms section and the red r 4 the needles sorry the pics not clear as i only have my phone 2 take pics with but u should get the idea.

Attachments

• Image027.JPG
    Image027.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 1,043

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
That'd be my picture, and as for your situation..

The facia replacements are used to negate the need for LED's in the first place, as they should have blue film behind the numbers instead of green. Can you post a link to the facia you bought?

Infanti

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...ryProximity&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

This is the one i got from TJAM AUTO...

It does have green on the back so i asumed that it was the exact same as the original except 4 the colour....
Anyway, wrx i'll give what you said a go but i wont bother with the needles...can ya still post up a picture...

I'll let ya know how it goes although its raining atm so maybe 2moz after work if it clears up...

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Ahh you can get white face backgrounds with blue film, so all the main parts light up a nice blue and everything else has it's colours too. But checking the price.. fair enough. The other one is like $250 or round about there.

Blue lights on blue background? Hmm dunno if I'd like that look =/

Infanti

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
well its good because when you drive at night you cant really see the blue face....Anyways opinions are opinions, everyone's gone one....I'll do what wrx884 said and put more in where he said and try it then and if not then looks like i'm scratching bits off the back of the face...

Is it worth buying 5mm leds from ebay...50 5mm leds at 10,000mcd for like 15 bucks. i dont expect them to be crap because they are direct from a hong kong factory so they would have millions to flog off. what do ya think?