Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boiling Radiator - VX Calais

onehappycamper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Vx Berlina S2
Hi guys,

So a quick trip home results in my VX Calais making boiling sounds from the radiator. I open the hood to see that it has sprayed orange sludgy gunk down the radiator from the cap. There is also the same orange sludge in the overflow and it's hard to tell our much fluid is left. There doesn't seem to be any further leaks atm. I'm a bit skint on cash until the end of the week when I can get it flushed. So, any advice on how to nurse her through to the end of the week? - beside not driving it. :idea:

Could I just top up with coolant and water for now?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
Sounds like you may have a cracked radiator, or if lucky just a build up of sludge that can be flushed out. Once cool, fill with water and start the car up and check for leaks. If it's not leaking take off the bottom radiator hose, drain and flush then refill and recheck water quality. If still dirty, re flush.

onehappycamper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Vx Berlina S2
Thanks - I should have clarified (and have since in the post) the fluid seemed to be coming from the cap area. The gunk that dribble down the radiator and chassis was pretty much all dried by the time the hood was popped. Bit of a newbie to this one - do I just keep filling the radiator until it reaches the cap level?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
what colour coolant do you run
if it is a different color i would suspect broken transmission cooler lines inside radiator
do not drive, do not start, do not pass go, do not collect $200
if you use an orange colour coolant fill with water and leave cap off until you can repair

onehappycamper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Vx Berlina S2
No idea - I bought the car only a few months ago. I don't think it's transmission; not the right shade. It's more a rust.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
Then I would be inclined to flush the coolant system and replace the radiator cap. I had the problem once where coolant would leak from the cap. New cap fixed this. But MAKE SURE you flush the cooling system properly. There are tutorials on here somewhere that explains the right way to do it.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V

If you leave the cap off, or put it on loosely the pressure won't build up and it will be less likely to leak, unless you have a huge hole somewhere.

onehappycamper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Vx Berlina S2
Ah, got it. About to flush it later this afternoon myself. Any advice on coolant type? Type B? Antifreeze/Antiboil? Choices, choices...

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Ah, got it. About to flush it later this afternoon myself. Any advice on coolant type? Type B? Antifreeze/Antiboil? Choices, choices...

Any coolant that meets the specifications for the Holden V6 engine.