Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bonnet Strut Clearance?

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Mate

Could it be hitting a guard bolt? I used an after market bolt that does do protrude as much.
Pull out a couple of guard bolts and try.

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
^^^bingo mate. Vn up with struts have different guard bolts(flats). As above remove the ones in between an see if that helps.

CNWEEP

Reaction score
Well I tried different things with no major difference, it seems as the strut is hitting the inner guard towards the hinge side.
When I try close the bonnet and look from underneath I can see that the strut does not go down in line with the valley in the guard, but on an angle pointing towards the hinge. I think if it was to lay straight it would clear??

I will try get some pix

Doing my head in at the moment...:banstick:

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
Sorry for the super late reply guys, life's been keeping me busy.
I had a similar problem with the VH.
if you follow the edge of the bonnet along, you will find a lump about half way. I found that's where mine was catching
I ground it back a bit with the trusty angle grinder and it sorted the problem
Just did this, works a treat.
different brand struts would have slightly different dimensions, not to mention the terrible build quality of 1st gens means what is a perfect fit on one car may be a terrible fit on another..... 80's cars, gotta love 'em ;)

Love my p.o.s. <3

Thanks for all the help and inputs guys. Hope others got something useful out of this as well.