Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bosch disc rotors. What are they like?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
If you look at a cross section between DBA and RDA, RDA rotors do not have the same heat dissipation as DBA.

Pair that with their sometimes sub par quality, it leads to warp and cracking. Not all of their rotors are like this though, when I was selling them I found there were particular models that were more prevalent to it - typically these were smaller thinner discs like youd see on Japanese/Korean cars or Euros.

I had a horror run with Astra rotors with them and their newer front rotors were actually quite big.

I would also avoid their cross drilled rotors like the plague. They have a nasty habit of cracking, like DBA's did in the early days. Unlike DBA though, RDA has not put in the R&D time to perfect them.

Their upper spec products though, really good. They do the EBC brakes as well as some really good big brake conversion kits.

Hmmm, got me thinking now.

I have a set of the RDA Dimpled rotor ready to go on, look like these, Dimpled Slotted Commodore VT VU VX VY VZ SV6 SV8 SS 97 06 Front Rotor SET RDA40D | eBay . Now you have me doubting them.

Also got a set of their molycarbide rears to go on the back too.

Hmmmm.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i did the ve/vf 322mm rda brake upgrade to my vs ute earlier this year which iam very happy with , so i thought i give rda rotors/pads a go on the vz, there been on now for a month and no problems so far.... if get 3 to 5 years out of them i be happy, thats about what i got out of the dba slotted till they warped ... plus i saved 100 bucks lol

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I have never got 3-5 years from any brand discs. How many kilometres a year do you do?

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
I have never got 3-5 years from any brand discs. How many kilometres a year do you do?
if i could drive around this great country of our and not use brakes than they still be new, so how many kms is irrelevant .
what do u do after u come to a stop , do u do a half rotation to avoid a heat spot or better still use your hand brake

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
if i could drive around this great country of our and not use brakes than they still be new, so how many kms is irrelevant .
what do u do after u come to a stop , do u do a half rotation to avoid a heat spot or better still use your hand brake

No I don't do a half-rotation after I stop.

And I don't exactly see how the handbrake will help since the pads never leave contact with the rotors, regardless whether you are pushing the brake pedal or not. Though I'm happy to be shown otherwise.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
its no wonder your brakes don t last, its the way u drive my 35 years experience in driving heavy vehicles and plant equipment as taught me how to look after brakes and believe me its no fun having brake failure pulling 42 half tonne semi

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
half rotation to avoid a heat spot or better still use your hand brake

Question: what causes those hot spots?
A) the brake pads acting like a heat sink and taking the heat out of the disc in one spot
Or
B) the brake pads keeping one spot of the disc hotter than the rest of the disc as it cools down?

Not that it really matters anyway :p

Btw I have Bosch pads in my statesman now and they seem fine

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
its no wonder your brakes don t last, its the way u drive my 35 years experience in driving heavy vehicles and plant equipment as taught me how to look after brakes and believe me its no fun having brake failure pulling 42 half tonne semi

I replace my discs and pads when they wear thin, not cracking or anything.

Question: what causes those hot spots?
A) the brake pads acting like a heat sink and taking the heat out of the disc in one spot
Or
B) the brake pads keeping one spot of the disc hotter than the rest of the disc as it cools down?

Not that it really matters anyway :p

Btw I have Bosch pads in my statesman now and they seem fine

B.