Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bought VE SSV with ticking sounds..

MR60LTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV REDLINE UTE 6.0L L77
Hi all,

Just bought a 2010 VE SSV REDLINE UTE, L77 With 140000km. Has a folder of receipts including 355rwkw dyno sheets.

Sold to me as 'needs lifters replaced' and I got it for 11k. Im hoping that's a good price and that's all that's wrong with it. As I have just lost my house, 2 cars and almost everything I own in the bushfires.

It has a bigger cam, full exhaust system, coilovers, 20" rims ect. So anyway...

It makes a ticking sound constantly, moreso at revs over 3k. Doesn't seem to be louder when it's cold or on start up and it's not as loud as I'd expect lifters to be.

I can see the cam and lifters were done in December 2013.. and lifters replaced again in July 2016 with LS7 ones..

Just wondering if anyone can tell me which brand/type of lifters I should get to replace them.. from what I've read online most people suggest LS7 ones again..

What would cause lifters to go in them again? A mechanic told me it could be the wrong engine geometry which is the cause.. Does this mean the cam, lifters, rods ect don't suit each other 100% and putting more pressure on the lifters?

My mechanic has suggested crow LS7 lifters, ARP bolts and a VRS KIT to fix the problem..

But I'm wondering if I should pull the heads off to inspect everything before I buy parts incase the cam lobes have been worn down or should I be checking anything else before I buy replacement lifters? Should I be replacing or upgrading anything else while it's open?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated as I am stuck on what the best options are in proceeding.

Thanks

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
First, I feel for you and the hell you have been through. My parents are in a similar spot, i hope insurance and charities are helping you. I have no experience, but from the sounds of it, you will be better off finding a good engine builder and having it stripped down to find the issue. Just replacing the lifters after it's gone through so many won't solve the issue

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Hi mate, sorry to hear about your rough time with the fires. Here’s to looking ahead for you and everyone impacted by them.
If you have the time and spare $ available to get the motor torn down and checked over that would get my vote every day of the week.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
My previously owned ve ss ute with otrcai, extractors, 2 1/2 exhaust and tune put out 257 rwkw. For your ute
to put out nearly 100 rwkw more must have more than just a big cam. My understanding is that lifters and cam must
get replaced together. However a 2010 redline ute for $11,000 is a steal provided it hasn't done excess k's. You
could spend a few dollars and still be well ahead. Good luck.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Really need to check your valve train geometry to see if your pushrod lengths are correct, if they aren’t it will cause problems yes there’s heaps of videos on YouTube how to do this

MR60LTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV REDLINE UTE 6.0L L77
Really need to check your valve train geometry to see if your pushrod lengths are correct, if they aren’t it will cause problems yes there’s heaps of videos on YouTube how to do this

Thanks for the replies.

What would be my best course of action now? The options I am thinking are.

1. Replace only the lifters which means head gaskets and head bolts. Probably going to cost at least $1000-$1500

2. Buy a new cam kit with similar specs as the one I've got, while it's apart check pushrods for correct length and replace if need be.. might cost $2000-$2500

3. Leave it and tighten headers, an oil flush, fresh oil, filter and lifter additive. $150

4. What would you guys do?

The prices are approx but my mechanic looks after me and only charges labour and I get my own parts.

Cheers

Jama

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V L98
Thanks for the replies.

What would be my best course of action now? The options I am thinking are.

1. Replace only the lifters which means head gaskets and head bolts. Probably going to cost at least $1000-$1500

2. Buy a new cam kit with similar specs as the one I've got, while it's apart check pushrods for correct length and replace if need be.. might cost $2000-$2500

3. Leave it and tighten headers, an oil flush, fresh oil, filter and lifter additive. $150

4. What would you guys do?

The prices are approx but my mechanic looks after me and only charges labour and I get my own parts.

Cheers
If they're ticking and not super loud they could just be gummed up.
It can't hurt to try an additive first, put 2 bottles of this in and see if there's any difference after a few weeks: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/nulon-nulon-lifter-free-and-tune-up---300ml/104058.html
Do you know what Oil is currently in it?