Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake Caliper Bolts

VN SII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive SII - 91' - VX Executive SII - 02'
So I was driving around the other day, and well basically my Brake Caliper fell off. Unable to find the 2 missing bolts that held it on (Obviously rattled free somehow) I thought "No sweat, I'll grab 2 off the VS I use for Scraps out back". Only to find that the Bolts are Stuck something chronic! No amount of WD-40 is working I've tried breaker bars and kicked wrenches and such... Anyone got any tips on helping me get the Bolts that hold the Brake Caliper on, off? I've tried the wreckers in town, only had 2 Commies and their bolts are Frozen/Stuck aswell.
Need it going for my upcoming paid Holiday from work ><. Even if someone just knows the sizes/thread so I can buy some new High Tensile Bolts, all I know is it's got a 19MM Head.

Thanks.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Get ur breaker bar and put a pipe (3 foot or more) over the end to give U more leverage. Should come off quite easy

Also keep soaking it in crc and leave to penetrate for 10mins then another spray..

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Take one out of the other side for the sizing/matching.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
front or rear brake? I'm working on my rears at the moment (VP). The caliper anchor plate mounting bolts have a 17mm head. My Gregory's says the caliper lockbolts have a special locking compound on the threads and must be replaced if removed.
Scuse my ignorance but the mounting bolts and the caliper lockbolts seem to be 2 different bolts. Torque settings are: Front caliper anchor plate bolts 80-90 Nm plus 45-50 degrees (that sounds pretty tight and may be why you are struggling); Rear caliper anchor plate bolts IRS 70-100 Nm; Live axle 55-70 Nm; caliper lockbolts 30-34 Nm.
I can't see what the caliper lockbolts are on my rears and I've got one rear caliper free from the backing plate so I can have a good look at it. The Gregory's doesn't mention caliper lockbolts for the fronts. Hope someone else can finish the picture for you soon

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
if front brakes, the bolts are supposed to be loctited in.
if you ever find them loose or easy to undo, someone's being there before you!

I've had the top bolt come out on a vk years ago, the caliper fell forwards at the top and caught onto the rim, locked the wheel and put me into a fence. (I wasn't the idiot who played with the brakes last on that car...)

I have spare bolts i can post to you if you get desperate. Pm me.

VN SII

Reaction score
Members Ride
Finally got it, put a pipe on the breaker bar and had to stand on it and grab the fender and push down ><. Haha. Thanks all, specially ephect

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
as above they should have thread locker put back on them, if you get stuck never replace them with standard bolts, you'll notice an "M xx" number on them, this is the tensile rating of the bolt.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Front caliper anchor plate bolts 80-90 Nm plus 45-50 degrees
Sounds like the bolt is being stretched a =very= particular amount when it is tight. Follow workshop manual instructions to the letter!!!

VN SII

Reaction score
Members Ride
scaled.php

That's the damage the Caliper did when it fell. :\ Was all crushed over the Rotor...
So I've put the Caliper back on with thread locker, and did the same with the other side to make sure they won't come off unexpectedly again. But!
I seem to have lost alot of braking power, I now have to push my foot down twice as much as I ever had did to get the same effect. I checked the brake hose when I put the Caliper back on for damage and couldn't find any issues. Anything else that could be causing the issue?