Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

braking on down hill vibration vz commodore executive

mikhael

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY SS UTE series 2 5.7L LS1
hi guys need help with my vz commodore it's having a vibration upon braking on down hill. I've recently replaced the disc rotor and had a wheel alignment plus change the centre bearing drives fine on flat roads and no vibration upon braking, but downhill at high speed and then braking the vibration is very noticeable I can't seems to pin point it as there's plenty of culprit to choose from. just recently bought the car and don't know the history of the car. could be the rotor, brakes, wheel hub, lower control arms, sway bar links, steering column, bent rims or uneven tyres. please need help as i live in adelaide hills and my car is very unworthy to drive please need help.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You’re right it could be anyone of those things. Could be shock absorbers as well.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Can you feel it in the steering wheel when you brake ?,
Or
Can you feel it in the brake pedal when you brake ?

If you can feel it the steering wheel -
It could be, Rotors, Brake pads, Callipers Tie rods, Front end bushes, Ball joints, Steering rack.

If you can feel it in the brake pedal -
It could be Centre bearing, Either donuts, Rotors, Brake pads, Callipers, Rear shockers, Rear bushes

All of the above items needs to be checked first for wear and/or damage and replace the necessary items.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
Did you happen to have your wheel alignment after you changed rotors if so they may have used a rattle gun to tighten your wheel nuts and warped your new rotors, happened to me. Bendix sent out a memo to brake Repairers to not use rattle guns as it may warp the rotors.
which i found out by calling Bendix. but tyre mobs can be cowboys.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Jack it up & see if the wheel or components you mentioned above move. It should be stiff. Check the state of tie rods.
Vibration under braking suggests something is rattling while the wheel remains inert or in position. Look for unusual tyre wear.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Throwing parts on it can be expensive and as such it’s much better from your perspective to have it correctly diagnosed so it can be determines what’s actually wrong.

It used to be basic mechanics 101 to check the following components for slop, looseness or wear: wheel bearings, upper/lower control arm bushes, ball joints, upper strut mount, inner/outer tie rod ends, rack mounts, sway bar links and bushes, sway bar bushes, all other bushes. If something is out of spec, fix it…

Then you’d have the rotor inner and outer rotor runout and thickness variation checked using a dial indicator. If it’s out, then you’d have that fixed (machined or replaced).

If you are still getting wobbles, I’d even consider checking the tyre‘s road force variation which in theory should exist and you’d feel the wobble all the time but it wouldn’t surprise me if in odd situations the issue may only occur when the front end is loaded up (and the tyre squished) while braking where the RFV becomes a problem…

All that’s left is shocks and springs which can also be checked that they operate within specs.

The problem with old cars is that everything may be a little worn but just serviceable from an individual perspective however as a whole they aren’t as sure footed as they used to be.

After a good inspection it may be time to bite the bullet and spend some cash giving the front end anew lease of life after a bit of TLC The problem is that if you’re not capable in doing such stuff yourself, finding a good honest mechanic can be difficult :rolleyes: They do exists but finding them is the challenge :p

The problem then becomes that you’ve fixed the front and it’s great bu5 you notice the rear isn’t anywhere near as great… and you fix that so the drive line becomes noticeable as not 10p%, etc, etc… Cars can be a PITA and a PITW (wallet) :oops:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
After a good inspection it may be time to bite the bullet and spend some cash giving the front end anew lease of life after a bit of TLC The problem is that if you’re not capable in doing such stuff yourself, finding a good honest mechanic can be difficult
Although I had no big problems, I had all the bushes replaced in my VY Monaro about 5 years ago by Pedders ..... close enough to $1K ....... just because I wanted to.
For price info.
It could be, Rotors, Brake pads, Callipers Tie rods, Front end bushes, Ball joints, Steering rack.
Same problems described were on my Crewman. New pads and machined rotors fixed it.
But a change of wheels brought the vibrations back, so I put the correct wheels back on.
Do you have OEM rims ?

mikhael

Reaction score
Members Ride
Or

It could be Centre bearing, Either donuts, Rotors, Brake pads, Callipers, Rear shockers, Rear bushes

All of the above items needs to be checked first for wear and/or damage and replace the necessary items.
thanks for the reply bro. and there's no vibration on pedal during downhill braking only on the steering wheel and it's really bad. my front rotors are brand new and it's slotted. double checked my brake pads they are in good condition. and tyres and wheels just recently balanced and aligned. i've checked the piston/calipers they seems fine. tie rods and swaybar is in good condition no play. I've checked the wheel bearing no play from
Or

thanks for the reply bruv, and no there is no vibration on brake pedal upon braking even on even road. on downhill steering vibration and wobbles like crazy

mikhael

Reaction score
Members Ride
Jack it up & see if the wheel or components you mentioned above move. It should be stiff. Check the state of tie rods.
Vibration under braking suggests something is rattling while the wheel remains inert or in position. Look for unusual tyre wear.
cant be the rear disc rotor as vibrationis coming from the front end