Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

braking on down hill vibration vz commodore executive

mikhael

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY SS UTE series 2 5.7L LS1
Although I had no big problems, I had all the bushes replaced in my VY Monaro about 5 years ago by Pedders ..... close enough to $1K ....... just because I wanted to.
For price info.

Same problems described were on my Crewman. New pads and machined rotors fixed it.
But a change of wheels brought the vibrations back, so I put the correct wheels back on.
Do you have OEM rims ?
oem wheels

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Check the front radius rod bushes...

The vibration you're feeling is either from the front rotors or the radius rod bushes....If the front rotors are replaced, that's the next point of call

Shocks are easy to check...Push down a couple of times quickly on one front corner....When you stop pushing on the corner and that corner bounces up and down more than once, the shocks are soft enough to replace

Last edited:

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Front rotors. We had this issue with the wife's VS at 30,000km. Coming down the Toowoomba range it felt like the whole front end was going to shake itself free every time you stood on the brake pedal. Leach motors machined the front rotors under warranty + a new set of pads, problem solved.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Wheels not Buckled ?
Lent the car to someone and they clipped something ?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Wheels not Buckled ?
Lent the car to someone and they clipped something ?

Wouldn't you feel a vibration all the time if the wheels were buckled, rather than just under braking?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Wouldn't you feel a vibration all the time if the wheels were buckled, rather than just under braking?
Yes, but anything is possible.
But I had to ask the question to eliminate that thoughts of what it could/can be.
To rule out ALL theories.
There is so many anomalies in this fault,

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
wheels are in perfect condition no buckles

Look at the radius rod bushes.....Good chance they'll need replacing to fix the issue seeing you have replaced the rotors

Reactions: Lex

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Will be the rotors warping with excessive heat due to the additional load of braking downhill.

mikhael

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY SS UTE series 2 5.7L LS1
hi guys need help with my vz commodore it's having a vibration upon braking on down hill. I've recently replaced the disc rotor and had a wheel alignment plus change the centre bearing drives fine on flat roads and no vibration upon braking, but downhill at high speed and then braking the vibration is very noticeable I can't seems to pin point it as there's plenty of culprit to choose from. just recently bought the car and don't know the history of the car. could be the rotor, brakes, wheel hub, lower control arms, sway bar links, steering column, bent rims or uneven tyres. please need help as i live in adelaide hills and my car is very unworthy to drive please need help.
my issues with my commy came back here's a recent video coming back from australia day.