Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brand new strut top mount bush and bearing issues

Jonathon Roberts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore V6 Sedan Executive
Hi all,

I have recently installed brand new Monroe shocks all round. No issue there. However, the strut top mount bushes and bearing were cactus so I replaced them with brand new rubber bushes and new bearing. I have installed assembled them the same as they were disassembled. The first time I made the mistake of using a torque gun to tighten the top nut that keeps the bush and spring in place. I was told tightening this nut up with a gun is a big no no. They failed later on so I had to install new ones again. The 2nd time I installed however, this time I tightened by hand and made sure the bush was able to move as designed to do. I installed them back in the car and the strut top plate was flush with the car. Now 4 months in and I'm seeing the plate with a gap which normally indicates they are buggered again. I can't work out what I could be doing wrong and the process seems fairly simple. The washers are facing the correct direction, brand new bump stops and boot not that they should play into the issue. I can't work out what I could be doing wrong or of its a bad bush/bearing I'm putting in the car and it's failing. A mate said I am better off with nolathane bushes for this replacement? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I'd love to spend the couple of hours it takes to do these on enjoying my weekend instead.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Who manufactured the strut tops & bearings?
Hi all,

I have recently installed brand new Monroe shocks all round. No issue there. However, the strut top mount bushes and bearing were cactus so I replaced them with brand new rubber bushes and new bearing. I have installed assembled them the same as they were disassembled. The first time I made the mistake of using a torque gun to tighten the top nut that keeps the bush and spring in place. I was told tightening this nut up with a gun is a big no no. They failed later on so I had to install new ones again. The 2nd time I installed however, this time I tightened by hand and made sure the bush was able to move as designed to do. I installed them back in the car and the strut top plate was flush with the car. Now 4 months in and I'm seeing the plate with a gap which normally indicates they are buggered again. I can't work out what I could be doing wrong and the process seems fairly simple. The washers are facing the correct direction, brand new bump stops and boot not that they should play into the issue. I can't work out what I could be doing wrong or of its a bad bush/bearing I'm putting in the car and it's failing. A mate said I am better off with nolathane bushes for this replacement? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I'd love to spend the couple of hours it takes to do these on enjoying my weekend instead.

Jonathon Roberts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Last 2 I got I admit I got off an ebay supplier that had a 2 year warranty. Last time it failed it seemed to be the bearing as it fell apart

Jonathon Roberts

Reaction score
Members Ride
I am presuming if done correctly the top plate should NEVER have ant gap