Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brand new VFII SS black edition engine wear in

yz23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Hi,

I havent recieved the car yet so i dont have a manual so ill try the forums out
I been doing some research and i found out that new cars obviously need a little care when you clock first few thousand kms. From my understanding after 3k km you can drive it like you stole it.

My question is, ive read a few threads where it states that the worst thing you can do with a brand new car is to do highway driving at a constant speed. Problem is, my work is 80km away from me and i drive everyday.

Can someone explain to me why this is the case? How can it be bad for the engine? What are some of the future problems that may happen? and what can i do to not cause any issues driving on the high way?

Thanks

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Nothing to stress about, warm engine up and drive normally, put your foot down a bit but not full throttle first 500>1000kms.

If your on the high way adjust your gears and speed a bit.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Not too much to worry about with modern V8s. Just remember to get that first service done at 3000km where they switch out the oils for ones more suited to long-term usage.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Not too much to worry about with modern V8s. Just remember to get that first service done at 3000km where they switch out the oils for ones more suited to long-term usage.

First service hasn't included an oil change for years.

My run in procedure is to get it warm then go lay into it. Heaps of load, don't be afraid of the throttle, but don't spin it excessively quick or bounce it off limiter. Keep it under say 4,500rpm and get right up it for a few thousand km. Everyone I know that's used this method has ended up with engines that use no oil (it beds the rings in nicely).

richo_00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFll SSV Redline
Drive it like you stole it from the showroom floor!

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
just follow the drive in period thats stated in the owners manual.

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
What I did with my new SSV ute picked up last Feb was run it for 200km, replaced the oil filter only & topped oil. When it reached 1000Km dropped the oil & filter filled with Penrite full synth 10-60. LS3 is Running nicely.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
When I pick up my Redline, I will be loading the engine without labouring it, giving it some stick without full throttle launches, then change the oil at 1000km with full synthetic Penrite Dexos1.