Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Break upgrade legality

Status
Not open for further replies.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I think I could get the same response without full disclosure if I spoke to someone there on the phone too.
Did you say specifically that these brakes were fitted to a later model, different series vehicle and were not an option at the time?
If you want a guilt-free answer mention that theses brakes require larger rotors and wheels, are of more than 10% greater mass and have twice the number of pistons. If he still says don't worry about it then take his name down and don't!

SanchezCBR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS Manual Sportswagon
Yep. That's what I looked up too. I would say that confirms what the RTA guy said to me.

SanchezCBR

Reaction score
Members Ride
I did mention that my car was a 2008 and that the Redline option was around 2010 or something. He said, "Yeah but is it a VE"? I said yes, then he said "So it is fine". I replied, "Even if they are different years"? aAd he confirmed that because they are both VE commodores and that it was a Factory upgrade there is no certification nessesary so I'm sticking with that.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Lucky for you being in ACT then, you will love the extra torque and repeated braking performance, enjoy!

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I did mention that my car was a 2008 and that the Redline option was around 2010 or something. He said, "Yeah but is it a VE"? I said yes, then he said "So it is fine". I replied, "Even if they are different years"? aAd he confirmed that because they are both VE commodores and that it was a Factory upgrade there is no certification nessesary so I'm sticking with that.

You can take which ever argument you like, at the end of the day if you and he are wrong YOU lose your insurance in an accident and YOU are responsible for any fines etc.

Good luck with that...

SanchezCBR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok then, what do YOU recommend that the RTA engineer hasn't even though he backed it up with the NCOP???

This thread exists for productive advice. What advice do you have?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If any model in the same series (I am talking the actual model depiction IE: VE) came from factory with an option, it is legal to retro fit that to any previous year of the same series IE: VE. So anything that was fitted as a factory option on any VE series car can be fitted to any other VE series model, earlier or later than when the factory option was available.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Even in NSW the approval method doesn't involve a test just inspection. Original engineer was a fuddy duddy, get some quotes for approval paper, expect couple of hundgy for peace of mind and safety. BTW the caliper bolts are different and the brake hose stretches a bit too far on drivers side.

SanchezCBR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for backing that up NAAF. :thumbsup:

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
If any model in the same series (I am talking the actual model depiction IE: VE) came from factory with an option, it is legal to retro fit that to any previous year of the same series IE: VE. So anything that was fitted as a factory option on any VE series car can be fitted to any other VE series model, earlier or later than when the factory option was available.

Not brakes mate, not in NSW.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showpost.php?p=2592072

Status
Not open for further replies.