Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Break upgrade legality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Ok then, what do YOU recommend that the RTA engineer hasn't even though he backed it up with the NCOP???

This thread exists for productive advice. What advice do you have?

Bite the bullet and budget $500 for an engineers report and be safe, keep your insurance and be legal, 100% no questions then.

Either that or find a definition to MODEL as this is where the technicality come in. i.e. is VE Series 1 the model or is VE the model.

BTW I agree that you have asked a professional engineer if you should give him money, he has said yes.

SanchezCBR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS Manual Sportswagon
I have just contacted the RTA Engineer again and he is going to do some research on the specifics of MODEL. So the question I possed to him again was is the NCOP clear on the specifics of MODEL being "VE" or is it by year or series eg Series 1 or Series 2.
Hopefully he will get back to me soon so I can post up the findings. I also mentioned to him what the other engineer said about inspection and testing.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
It's got me stuffed why all you guys want the break something on the front of your cars.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Just think of ACT as a department of NSW... where we keep most of the public servants. Same same ;)

Lol, no chance. The ACT Federalies couldn't give a fat rats about any of this unless you're down in Tuggers line-locking at Maccas drive thru. P-Platers can drive a Koenigsegg, Pagani or Bugatti if they so desire. NSW is a whole different kettle of fish.

SanchezCBR

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK, The guy got back to me. He said that the Model specs are reletive to being a VE. However, the only issue may be the ABS. If the ABS system on the 2008 is different to the ABS found on the Redline then it will need an engineer inspection, test and certificate. So the question is now, is there a difference in the ABS units? He mentioned something about pulse rates possibly being different between the 2 piston and 4 piston calipers.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
In NSW it comes under Mod 6 and Mod 12 on page 5 of the Brake Assessment Manual. Everywhere else (including Victoria) carry the same NCOP warning regarding ABS, suspension and ESC discussed here http://www.aaaa.com.au/data/Modifier Beware.pdf
So if you are not registered in the Premier State... Section 1.2 on page 5 of The National Code of Practice states fitting disc brakes that are not a manufacturer's option requires LG Code certification, then Section 4.1 on page 11:

MODIFICATIONS WITHOUT CERTIFICATION
Fitting disc brakes where the replacement system was originally available as an option for the vehicle model

Otherwise it is clear under Section 1.2 which refers to "LG Brakes" on page 20 that classes the modification as a non-original option and is in fact "Fitting a substitute disc brake assembly" and requires approval.

Last edited:

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
HSV is not a Holden factory option. HSV is a different model entirely and not even technically a Commodore. It is not made by Holden, it's made by HSV, "legally" you can't fit HSV parts to a Commodore without engineering approval.

So all those SS commodores, statesmans, calias and berlinas running around out there with the HSV build plate need engineering????

SanchezCBR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Got some more news.

Just spoke to Holden and they advise that there i no difference between ABS systems and that even HSV with their 6 piston calibers use the same ABS and Master cylinder found in the SS.
He told me to contact Gentech here as They send all their upgardes to be done by them and they will know 100% if the ABS system will work and whether a certificate is nessesary. Holden guy doesn't think so as he has never heard of anyone needing one in the past. And the Harrop/Walkinshaw upgrade is considered a factory upgrade.

SanchezCBR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, Got the final answer.

Spoke to Gentech. He has informed me that the ABS is only effected by the Rolling Diameter of the wheel. If you are fitting 19inch wheels on all 4 corners then it is fine. It has no bearing on the size of the rotors or calipers at all.
Also, there is no need to have a certificate when you are upgrading brakes to a factory offerend package on the same model. As far as the Redline upgrade, you can go ahead and upgrade it without any certificate or inspection needed. RTA don't care.
Even when they upgrade to the Walkinshaw brake package which is 6 piston and 365mm rotors they still don't need a certificate and the ABS system is still factory original. So he said, "Go ahead and upgrade them without concern".

Status
Not open for further replies.