Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brembo 6P/4P upgrade 2016 SSV

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Here's a reasonable rundown:

Drilled or Slotted Rotors — What are the Best Brake Rotors?
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/drilled-or-slotted-rotors-what-are-the-best-brake-rotors.aspx

And here is what DBA have to say:

Should You Opt For Slotted or Cross-Drilled Rotors?

When replacing an essential performance and safety component on your vehicle like your brake rotors, it’s important have all the facts at your fingertips.

Knowing the performance and ventilation differences between slotted and cross drilled rotors will help you make the right decision about which disc brakes suit your needs.

Every time you engage your brakes, gas and debris collect between the brake pads and rotors. Over time the build up can cause your disc brakes to overheat, warp and even crack. To expel the built up debris and gas rotors come in slotted and cross drilled designs to give you a safety and performance advantage.

The decision as to whether your discs should be slotted or cross drilled depends on the vehicle use, performance aspirations and vehicle style.

“If your brakes are working hard for their money and you want nothing but the best, invest in T3 slotted rotors. If you’re looking to complete that show car look, but still want the street performance and safety advantage, go for the cross-drilled rotors, ” said Martin Peart, Director of Sales at DBA.

If you drive hard, race or use your vehicle off-road or for towing purposes, DBA recommend installing slotted rotors, as the surface grooves make for cleaner rotors and effectively reduce overheating in demanding conditions.

DBA’s top of the range T3 slotted disc brakes offer greater pad bite for improved stopping performance, and the peace of mind that comes with purchasing a quality Australian made product. The T3 range is designed to handle harsher conditions and have been installed in every Australian V8 Ute race car, a testament to their quality and performance.

Any auto enthusiasts looking for a high performance looking disc brake to improve the aesthetics of their car should opt for cross-drilled rotors. Put simply, they look sharp and perform well. These will look the part on street cars or show cars.

“Performance disc brakes are cheaper than ever as competition in the market has driven down prices. The concerning fact is that many people are looking overseas for a lower price over a quality product where their safety is concerned.”

“You can’t put a price on your life, so if you’re driving hard, invest in top quality Australian disc brakes.”

Video:

Drilled, Slotted & Vented Brake Rotors - What's Best?

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Aren’t the 370mm two piece, per fitted to the CTS-V, the ideal size for your six pots?
View attachment 197571
Either importing GM / Brembo or going local dba T3 5000 Series will cost about a grand. Totally recommend them, just don’t try and convince the Missus why though...

I don't think DBA make a 5000 series 2 piece rotor for this application (except replacement ring for C7 Z06 Corvette on a made-to-order basis - mega bucks but even then I don't know what you'd do for a mounting bell).

For 370mm 6-piston application in DBA it's the 4000 series one piece. Produced in T3 slotted (best performance) or slotted and drilled (blingiest). I think they're available in street series T2 slotted as well. Probably depends on what's available for the rear to match.

For cheapest 2 piece it's OE (which are neither drilled nor slotted) as Monstar says or it's Brembo (which are slotted) and mucho $$$$ - both from USA.

On the slotted vs drilled, I agree with the consensus. Slotted for track or bling, drilled just for bling. Plain would be OK too - at this size brake, if you're running out of whoa on the street and you're not towing down a looong hill, you won't have a licence or a car for long.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Quick question, if slotted is superior to drilled why do all high end super/hyper cars have drilled rotors instead of slotted?

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
I don't think DBA make a 5000 series 2 piece rotor for this application (except replacement ring for C7 Z06 Corvette on a made-to-order basis - mega bucks but even then I don't know what you'd do for a mounting bell).

For 370mm 6-piston application in DBA it's the 4000 series one piece. Produced in T3 slotted (best performance) or slotted and drilled (blingiest). I think they're available in street series T2 slotted as well. Probably depends on what's available for the rear to match.

For cheapest 2 piece it's OE (which are neither drilled nor slotted) as Monstar says or it's Brembo (which are slotted) and mucho $$$$ - both from USA.

On the slotted vs drilled, I agree with the consensus. Slotted for track or bling, drilled just for bling. Plain would be OK too - at this size brake, if you're running out of whoa on the street and you're not towing down a looong hill, you won't have a licence or a car for long.

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Quick question, if slotted is superior to drilled why do all high end super/hyper cars have drilled rotors instead of slotted?

Form over function is often the reason given.

Yet there are other theories on the subject that fall outside the usual slotted is better than cross drilled because cross drilled crack easily.

Carbon-Ceramic brakes which are often on high end cars have very different heating properties to standard brakes and are less prone to cracking and they tend to have very small holes compared to what you see from the mass produced rotors.

A part from the size of the holes there are rotors where the holes are drilled and rotors where the holes are cast.

Both my AMG’s come with cross drilled front rotors and crossed drill and slotted rears and I would have thought it would be the other way around.

One thing I notice on my AMG is the holes in the front rotors are not in a uniform pattern like I see on some cars.

In some places the holes are within a millimetre of the rotor edge and the holes vary in sizes and not all holes go all the way through.

I don’t know if they are drilled or caste but I do believe they are there for looks and not function as it’s a street car not a track car and if I’m getting myself into multiple situations where the rotors are glowing red hot on the street causing premature cracking then I should be sent to gaol.

Front
IMG_3607a.jpg

Rear
IMG_3595a.jpg

The other rotor no one has mentioned that is becoming popular is the J Curve.

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
I’m leaning towards DBA 4000 T3 slotted but struggling to find a rotor part number for this application. Finding a rear rotor is ok as I just need the standard redline size rear rotor, finding a front is challenging. I found a Walkinshaw size for the SS but that is only a 365mm rotor. Does it make a big deal if I run 370 or 365.

I got these giants ***
View attachment 197614

42068S is the part you're after.

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Form over function is often the reason given.

Yet there are other theories on the subject that fall outside the usual slotted is better than cross drilled because cross drilled crack easily.

Carbon-Ceramic brakes which are often on high end cars have very different heating properties to standard brakes and are less prone to cracking and they tend to have very small holes compared to what you see from the mass produced rotors.

A part from the size of the holes there are rotors where the holes are drilled and rotors where the holes are cast.

Both my AMG’s come with cross drilled front rotors and crossed drill and slotted rears and I would have thought it would be the other way around.

One thing I notice on my AMG is the holes in the front rotors are not in a uniform pattern like I see on some cars.

In some places the holes are within a millimetre of the rotor edge and the holes vary in sizes and not all holes go all the way through.

I don’t know if they are drilled or caste but I do believe they are there for looks and not function as it’s a street car not a track car and if I’m getting myself into multiple situations where the rotors are glowing red hot on the street causing premature cracking then I should be sent to gaol.

Front
View attachment 197617

Rear
View attachment 197618

The other rotor no one has mentioned that is becoming popular is the J Curve.

Maybe the AMG rears are slotted because they'd be most prone to glazing?

By J curve do you mean fish hook shaped? This type has been in use in racing for ages.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
42068S is the part you're after.
Lorem ipsum porta eros etiam ultricies ipsum vestibulum, quam nisl dictum venenatis justo non, nunc orci massa inceptos id ad cras dolor aliquam dictumst nulla cubilia et, quisque sociosqu aliquam eros nam arcu, massa feugiat pellentesque tempus ut purus vitae in ultrices conubia mollis aliquam lorem commodo volutpat vivamus, dapibus nam tristique sem luctus tincidunt ante gravida morbi elementum molestie nam felis sollicitudin per fringilla tincidunt, proin placerat morbi nam sem eu.

Last edited: