Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brembo NAO ceramic pads

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Is anyone using Brembo NAO ceramic pads, (not REMSA, DBA, RDA or any other brand) with front Brembo's on VF?

How is the noise, if any, and are you using the type with or without the counterweights.

Did the counterweighted variety lessen noise and did they clear your rims?

I want to fit them to my VF with VF2 Calais 19's but I have a feeling the counterweights might foul.

Thanks in advance

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Is anyone using Brembo NAO ceramic pads, (not REMSA, DBA, RDA or any other brand) with front Brembo's on VF?

How is the noise, if any, and are you using the type with or without the counterweights.

I want to fit them to my VF with VF2 Calais 19's but I have a feeling the counterweights might foul.

Thanks in advance

I‘m not sure if i have the ‘NAO’ version as I purchased these many years ago. I have the non-weighted version in the fronts at the moment. But I also have a set of the weighted versions to go in next time (probably with new rotors as well).

These are what I have in at the moment…

IMG_2747.jpeg

Noise-wise I’m not noticing much squealing, but they tend to groan a bit when slowly coming off the brake pedal. They’re pretty good dust-wise, but (a) it’s hard to be definitive without swapping pads regularly to compare, and (b) I should be cleaning my wheels more often anyway.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Thanks in advance
A bench grinder will fix any problems with counterweights.

Reactions: Lex

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
I‘m not sure if i have the ‘NAO’ version as I purchased these many years ago. I have the non-weighted version in the fronts at the moment. But I also have a set of the weighted versions to go in next time (probably with new rotors as well).

These are what I have in at the moment…

View attachment 266022

Noise-wise I’m not noticing much squealing, but they tend to groan a bit when slowly coming off the brake pedal. They’re pretty good dust-wise, but (a) it’s hard to be definitive without swapping pads regularly to compare, and (b) I should be cleaning my wheels more often anyway.
Excellent. Great info

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
When I enquired with HCC re putting the same width 19“ or 18” rims and tyres all around, to improve ride quality on our crappy roads, their Subject Mater Expert provided a doc that stated their factory 19” rims will clear the Brembo brakes (presumably with factory pads with counterweights) but he satiated that there are no factory 18” rim that would fit over Brembos…

The SME also stated that I must stay with staggered rim width to remain compliant as they wouldn’t certify the car with symmetrical rims all round (cause the SS must have been so special :oops:)

I can’t remember whether the factory 19” rims the SME referenced were stated as having to be the drop forged ones or whether the thicker cast 19” rims would also work.

I haven't tried to fit a factory 19” rim to my MSE commodore, because it’s not a huge increase in sidewall height from 20” rims and doubt it would soften the ride much as compared to 20” wheels over our crappy roads :oops:

I’m sure some aftermarket 18” rims will fit over the Brembos but I suspect the brake pads can’t have weights on them in such cases :rolleyes:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

I still have a (1/2 worn) set of OEM pads with the weights. I also have a new-in-box set of Brembo pads with the weights. I can dig them out and post up a picture (when I have time) if you wish?

My understanding is the clearance issue is confined to the aftermarket pads with the circular weights (as they can hit the balancing weights?). I believe the ones with the rectangular-ish shaped weights are okay.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
THanks Sky.
I know that the VF2 rims fit over Brembos
When I enquired with HCC re putting the same width 19“ or 18” rims and tyres all around, to improve ride quality on our crappy roads, their Subject Mater Expert provided a doc that stated their factory 19” rims will clear the Brembo brakes (presumably with factory pads with counterweights) but he satiated that there are no factory 18” rim that would fit over Brembos…

The SME also stated that I must stay with staggered rim width to remain compliant as they wouldn’t certify the car with symmetrical rims all round (cause the SS must have been so special :oops:)

I can’t remember whether the factory 19” rims the SME referenced were stated as having to be the drop forged ones or whether the thicker cast 19” rims would also work.

I haven't tried to fit a factory 19” rim to my MSE commodore, because it’s not a huge increase in sidewall height from 20” rims and doubt it would soften the ride much as compared to 20” wheels over our crappy roads :oops:

I’m sure some aftermarket 18” rims will fit over the Brembos but I suspect the brake pads can’t have weights on them in such cases :rolleyes:
Without the counterweights. Another member posted a picture of his car with brembos and the same rims.
Won't be going to 18 or 20s thanks.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
I still have a (1/2 worn) set of OEM pads with the weights. I also have a new-in-box set of Brembo pads with the weights. I can dig them out and post up a picture (when I have time) if you wish?

My understanding is the clearance issue is confined to the aftermarket pads with the circular weights (as they can hit the balancing weights?). I believe the ones with the rectangular-ish shaped weights are okay.
Hi Chrisp
I have a brand new set with the counterweights. But don't have the calipers on the car yet. Just would like to have the correct pads ready and on hand to go straight on when the calipers do go on. Don't want to find out at install time the pads i have won't fit.