Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BREMBO PROBLEMS - CONSIDERING LEGAL ACTION

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Friction makes brakes work.
Friction creates heat. Different Brakes work better at different temperatures because the compounds in those brakes create their optimum amount of friction at that temp because the hardness changes as they get hotter.

If you were driving along and had a passenger lean out the window with a blow torch on your rotors would the car stop?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's ******* scary when you find the limit of your brakes and you have a corner coming up fast :eek:

Yepp...... Especially when you're dragging an extra 900kg behind you ;);). I thought I was a goner when it happen to me.....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Friction makes brakes work.
Friction creates heat. Different Brakes work better at different temperatures because the compounds in those brakes create their optimum amount of friction at that temp because the hardness changes as they get hotter.

Yeah I was reading some info Brakes Direct posted in another thread about Bendix Ultimates and how they can be a pretty decent pad if your wanting to stomp on the pedal every time you stop. If you don't apparently they will chew out your rotors because they like heat and pressure. I emailed BD and he said HPX are good if you use moderate pressure like I do driving on the streets as I suspect most would.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep, been there once with my old man. We were towing a trailer full of firewood and had to make a turn half way down the hill but ended up having to go straight because it wasn't going to stop. Fortunately we had a fair bit of road that day.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
In my eyes heat is the byproduct, friction is the action or mechanism. Yes it all comes down to the operating temp of the pads, OEM pads work from cold to moderate temps, full race pads work from high to thermonuclear temps....

It's ******* scary when you find the limit of your brakes and you have a corner coming up fast :eek:
Yeah. Heat is generated by friction. Within the correct operating range more friction is created under pressure. So the brakes work better. But heat is not why brakes work, as you said. Brakes are designed to work within the temp ranges generally experienced in their intended application. However they could be and are made to work at some very low temps. Similar to tyres. As said, when they exceed these temp ranges they will fail.