Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bridgestone Tyres for VX Calais & Variatronic Steering Issues

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
;).
On anther note, I noticed the speedo it more accurate now, 100km/h on the speedo, is 100km/h road speed, where before it was approx. 3 k's my favour.

In Queensland that 3 km in your favour won't do you any when the cops ping you. Has anyone blamed their new tyres for speeding yet?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
In Queensland that 3 km in your favour won't do you any when the cops ping you. Has anyone blamed their new tyres for speeding yet?

Sorry, I may of confused you.
When I say 3k's my favour,
I meant, the Speedo indicates 100 km/h, where the actual Car/Road Speed was 97 km/h, so the car is travelling a bit slower than measured speed, as I measured that with 3 devices, so I haven't had to pay any voluntary tax's as yet ;)
cheers

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
View attachment 202202 View attachment 202202 View attachment 202202
Hi krusing,

Thanks for your response. Banter is good! Every piece of information and advice on these forums is useful. I hope my experiences are assisting other users too. It's strange to hear about the recall issue for the shuddering with your VY. I replaced the PS hose on my Calais last year and didn't have that issue. Unfortunately that's not the problem I'm experiencing at the moment although I did have a steering shudder issue last year. It turned out to be warped front discs. I ended up replacing with high end DBA discs and pads and the problem disappeared

The issue I'm having with the variatronic power steering at the moment is that the power assist is constant and not variable. It's very hard to steer at low 'parking' speeds but comfortable above 50kms. I personally fitteda recinditioned rack and power steering pump 2 years ago and a brand new solenoid fitted only last weekend. The solenoid did not fix the problem though but at least I'm confident with the new part as the wires on the old one had perished.

Last year though, I hit a kerb during wet weather. The car lost control coming out of a roundabout - the rear end fishtailed (rear tyres were Toyos and poor quality in my opinion) and this was at low speed too. Thankfully I regained some control of the car and was fortunate enough to get away with just hitting the kerb. No damage to my car (body wise) or any one else's. Only damage to my car was that the front left tyre blew out (no rim damage fortunately) and threw the steering wheel off centre by about 15 degrees.

After that I had the front tyres replaced and the wheel alignment redone. Steering was fine after that although the steering rack had developed its original knocking sound when racking the wheel whilst stationary. I'm not sure if this is what has caused the variatronic to fail over time since then.

When I first noticed it failing, a simple remedy was to turn the ignition off and then on again to reset itself. Over time the problem was more consistent until finally... no more variable power assist but I did notice that my biceps were becoming more prominent ☺️

I'm determined to resolve the problem though. A very good friend of mine in my car club has a workshop and he is going to run some tests with the Tech2 this weekend. He wants to check for a signal from the variatronic solenoid supply which comes from the BCM. I did a test using a multimeter and there is power between the two supply terminals of the plug. Not sure if this is sufficient diagnosis though. Apparently if the wires on the solenoid arc out, it can damage the circuitry in the BCM. Hoping that isn't the problem in my case.

I'll keep you updated after the tests are done. Could be that I've damaged the internals of the rack after hitting the kerb and broken the plastic valve in the rack housing.

As for the tyre prices you were quoted that seems quite expensive! My local Bridgestone quoted me $137 each for T001's in 215/60/16. They're $1 cheaper per tyre than the Serenity Plus. They're recommending the Serenity Plus over the Turanza but similar to your experience at Pedders, I'm doubtful of this advice. I believe they make more money from the Serenity Plus via Bridgestone when they are on special.

First task is to get the steering issue resolved and then I'll get the new tyres. I don't want to pour any more money into the car if this can't be resolved.

Thanks for your advice, I'll keep you updated.

Cheers ☺️

I remembered something else today, I did a bit of research on PS Pumps & Racks when we had steering issues, my VY Calais didn't have the solenoid on the power steering rack, however I did read the steering it does have on it, is only usually fitted to the "Luxury Variants" [they call it] ie: Calais & Statesman, and the Pedders did also say the same, that those models do have a special type of Steering hardware, or was it a ploy to milk some more $'s from me ;). So it needed "Special" Rack & Power Steering Pump that is suited to work correctly together, where they [Pedders] just fitted the "Special" Rack, this could be because mine is Supercharged V6, as there is a lot of different items on it compared to the standard V6 Calais. Maybe that's an option to convert yours to a VY Steering Kit. Sometimes you just need to ask yourself how far do a I go, and how much do I need to spend :eek:.
I have spent approx. $3,000 on it in the past 18 months [wont bore you with the finer details], just to get it up to Mint Condition, as I want to preserve it, as a Genuine stock vehicle, to show it some time in the future, and hopefully it will increase in value. Even the wreckers have said, "If its a clean one, hang on to it".

So hopefully your colleague with the Tech2 will be able to shed some light on the fault.
I have a Autel DS708 Analyser unit, [currently selling], and its surprising the information you can view, good luck. cheers

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just for anyone that is interested, and is looking for the replacement Power Steering Pipe at the wreckers, Here is photo of the Power Steering Pipe that was replaced, as it sits at the front of the motor where it is mounted on, which is the square tube that is behind the Radiator. [it doubles back in to its self, hence the longer rubber piping to buffer the vibration I guess]

Attachments

• High Preasure Power Steering Hose.02.jpg
    High Preasure Power Steering Hose.02.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
Hi krusing,

Thanks for the photo. My VX has a different setup for that. It has a full steel pipe that doubles back on itself. Pipe is still in perfect condition but I will check for any rubbing against the supports. I usually cut some fuel hose and wrap around pipes to stop vibration. Good to know that the can be replaced with a flexible hose option though. I may just do that still for confidence.

I was researching the high pressure hose for my VX this week (the one that runs from the pump to the rack). Apparently the variable effort steering has a different path number to standard steering. I thought this might have been the problem as I replaced mine with a standard hose. Had it confirmed by my friend with the Tech2 that the only difference is a support bracket to hold the pipe in place. Not difficult to make something up to support it though.

I believe the racks for VT to VZ are the same although the variable effort assist setup may have changed. I don't want to change the setup on the car because, like you, I want to preserve the car in orignal condition as it's an extremely clean and straight example. I don't mind putting extra money into the car to get everything perfect as long as it's guaranteed to resolve the issue. In the past 18 months, I've spent around $2000 on the car, mainly trying to get an ongoing igniton problem resolved (see my other thread). It's had regular servicing and preventative maintenance done on the car. I believe in fixing something before it becomes and issue on the road.

Here's a link to the showcase item for my car;

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showcase/2000-vx-calais-v6.3657/

I had Bridgestone call me yesterday too... they're insisting on the Serenity Plus as they come with a 50,000km warranty. Free regular checks for wear etc... I guess I just have to make the call when I'm ready to fit them. I also go by the look of the tyre and the T001 has a cleaner and smarter looking side wall in my opinion. I don't doubt that the Serenity would be a great tyre but it comes down to personal preference.

How much do you have the Autel DS708 Analyser selling for? I'm looking at other units at the moment. Would be handy to have, not just for the VX but also for the VF and my wife's Hyundai (sorry, not sure if I'm allowed to say Hyundai on this site :D )

Cheers :)

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
On another note, I did search for prices for the T001's, and found I could save heaps to what Bridgestone Quoted me
Bridgestone Quoted me $239ea F&B [$956 for 4 + $80 for a wheel alignment ],
where I searched on tyresales.com.au [which is a part of carsales.com.au] and got a quote for the same tyre for $179ea F&B [$716 for 4 + $70 for a wheel alignment], so I very happy with the savings.
hope this helps, cheers.

Is that price for the first person that buys a set, the second person or 3rd person? I'm positive that is the site, where 3 seperate people, all known to each other, have to buy a set of tyres each, to get a massive discount on the 3rd set....The first person pays full price, 2nd gets a small discount and the 3rd gets the best discount.

I also heard a rumour, that that place is up for sale, because it is loosing money hand over fist....I believe they lost $2.4 mill last year

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
Hi all,

Firstly I thought I'd better change the title of this thread as we've side tracked onto steering issues. This will make it easier for other users when searching threads and posts.

Secondly, I had my steering issue resolved yesterday! :)

I visited my friend who has the Tech 2 and a spare parts workshop in Sydney.
He ran a few simple diagnostic tests to start with but nailed the problem!

1) Check power supply to Variatronic Solenoid on rack.
Disconnect cable and connect test lamp across terminals to check for pulse signal. No signal found.

2) Check that Variatronic Solenoid is operating (I installed a brand new genuine solenoid last weekend).
Connect solenoid with jumper wires directly to battery, switch ignition on and turn wheel - result... fingertip steering control again! :)

So we narrowed down that there was no power supply to the solenoid.
This is supplied directly from the BCM (Body Control Module). My friend sells reconditioned BCM's including 2 brand new keys.
We then tried the following;

3) Replace current BCM with reconditioned BCM
Used Tech 2 to connect BCM to PCM (Powertrain Control Module).
Switched ignition on and turn wheel - result... NO power steering assist! :(

4) Trace wiring and check for fault
My friend had the genuine wiring diagrams available for the VX Calais. We traced the wiring for the Variatronic Solenoid and discovered that it is supplied via fuse #15. Under the dash however, this is not labelled as power steering. Note: whilst the steering was not working I still had full functionality with power mirrors and cruise control. We checked the fuse and it was blown! Replaced fuse.
Switched ignition on and turn wheel - result... fingertip steering control again! :)

5) Check original BCM
Taking a step back, we thought we'd try the original BCM with the new fuse (thinking we should have checked the fuse first!). Reinstalled old BCM and used Tech 2 to connect BCM to PCM.

6) Reinstall reconditioned BCM
Having found the faults (blown fuse and faulty BCM circuitry), we reinstalled the new BCM and normal service was resumed :D

How the fault occurred;
The insulation around wiring at the base of the solenoid had perished from exposure and PS fluid leaks.
Over time the wires must have shorted out, damaging the BCM circuitry and blowing fuse #15.

So, the original solenoid I have can still function provided that I solder on new wires and perhaps Araldite or silicone them in place to prevent future damage. Otherwise I will keep it as a spare.

The drive back from the workshop yesterday morning was unbelievable. Steering is so smooth and ride is unbelievable.
It's not the ride of the new VF Calais but for what it is, the VX Calais provides a smooth and comfortable driving experience.
I love the car and given its condition, time and money to resolve issues such as this are well worth it in the long run.

Now I can book in to get my new Bridgestone T001 tyres fitted next weekend :D

I hope this thread assists other Holden nuts, such as myself, to resolve an issue with their Variatronic Power Steering.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
just an fyi the power steer pipe that is all steel and doubles back back on itself is designed as a cooling heatsink

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi all,

Firstly I thought I'd better change the title of this thread as we've side tracked onto steering issues. This will make it easier for other users when searching threads and posts.

Secondly, I had my steering issue resolved yesterday! :)

I visited my friend who has the Tech 2 and a spare parts workshop in Sydney.
He ran a few simple diagnostic tests to start with but nailed the problem!

1) Check power supply to Variatronic Solenoid on rack.
Disconnect cable and connect test lamp across terminals to check for pulse signal. No signal found.

2) Check that Variatronic Solenoid is operating (I installed a brand new genuine solenoid last weekend).
Connect solenoid with jumper wires directly to battery, switch ignition on and turn wheel - result... fingertip steering control again! :)

So we narrowed down that there was no power supply to the solenoid.
This is supplied directly from the BCM (Body Control Module). My friend sells reconditioned BCM's including 2 brand new keys.
We then tried the following;

3) Replace current BCM with reconditioned BCM
Used Tech 2 to connect BCM to PCM (Powertrain Control Module).

4) Trace wiring and check for fault
My friend had the genuine wiring diagrams available for the VX Calais. We traced the wiring for the Variatronic Solenoid and discovered that it is supplied via fuse #15. Under the dash however, this is not labelled as power steering. Note: whilst the steering was not working I still had full functionality with power mirrors and cruise control. We checked the fuse and it was blown! Replaced fuse.
Switched ignition on and turn wheel - result... fingertip steering control again! :)

5) Check original BCM
Taking a step back, we thought we'd try the original BCM with the new fuse (thinking we should have checked the fuse first!). Reinstalled old BCM and used Tech 2 to connect BCM to PCM.

6) Reinstall reconditioned BCM
Having found the faults (blown fuse and faulty BCM circuitry), we reinstalled the new BCM and normal service was resumed :D

How the fault occurred;
The insulation around wiring at the base of the solenoid had perished from exposure and PS fluid leaks.
Over time the wires must have shorted out, damaging the BCM circuitry and blowing fuse #15.

So, the original solenoid I have can still function provided that I solder on new wires and perhaps Araldite or silicone them in place to prevent future damage. Otherwise I will keep it as a spare.

The drive back from the workshop yesterday morning was unbelievable. Steering is so smooth and ride is unbelievable.
It's not the ride of the new VF Calais but for what it is, the VX Calais provides a smooth and comfortable driving experience.
I love the car and given its condition, time and money to resolve issues such as this are well worth it in the long run.

Now I can book in to get my new Bridgestone T001 tyres fitted next weekend :D

I hope this thread assists other Holden nuts, such as myself, to resolve an issue with their Variatronic Power Steering.

That's excellent, I wouldn't of thought of it being the BMC, but yet again, nothing is impossible as the wires had shorted out, very unfortunate that you had to replaced the BMC, expensive exercise I can only assume, especially having to link it to the EMC,[haven't done it myself], but I guess we love our cars, with your step by step explanation, its sure to help Holden Buffs out there.
When you say the wires had shorted out, I am not surprised due to the location of the solenoid, the insulation on the wires would of become so brittle over the years and just flake off, being subject to PS oil, general environmental elements, and especially constant heat from the exhaust manifold in and around the engine in general over the years, as they say, nothing lasts for ever.
I haven't worked on VX or VY's with variatronic steering, or seen the solenoid installed, but have seen it in the service/repair manual I have for my VY.
Well done, and happy motoring. :)

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is that price for the first person that buys a set, the second person or 3rd person? I'm positive that is the site, where 3 seperate people, all known to each other, have to buy a set of tyres each, to get a massive discount on the 3rd set....The first person pays full price, 2nd gets a small discount and the 3rd gets the best discount.

I also heard a rumour, that that place is up for sale, because it is loosing money hand over fist....I believe they lost $2.4 mill last year

The Price I got quoted was for a set of 4 on the web, as I stumbled across them just searching for tyres for my VY, you can search by Tyre Size, Vehicle or Tyre Brand, It was a very simple search, purchase and fitting [apart from other things I had to do to the car prior getting a set of tyres fitted], I will definitely use them again for my next set of tyres for any of our 5 cars we have.