Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bridgestone Tyres for VX Calais & Variatronic Steering Issues

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by VFCalais2017, Nov 7, 2018.

1. krusing

krusing Member

Members Ride:
    2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
    Bridgestone offered a couple of different styles when I was there getting a quote, and have to say the same, I liked the look of the T001, but their quote price was their downfall,
    I checked the prices on all the tyres they gave me quotes on, on tyresales.com.au and it ended up cheaper all round.
    as for the T001's, they are smooth and quiet, especially on a freeway. [now I can hear my wife talking to me, guess I will have to turn the radio up] ;)

2. krusing

krusing Member

Members Ride:
    Just steering off the track for a moment [no pun intended :)] I have had the Autel DS708 for approx. 14 months, Purchased it from a Ford Mechanic [not sure I am allowed to say that also] as he had it when he worked at Ford in Broadmeadows before he was made redundant, he had only just paid for latest software upgrade for it [$400 AUD I think] and then he was supplied one from his new employer, so he sold his personnel one, it was in mint condition when I bought is, and still is, as I keep it in the hard carry case, and the original Cardboard Box he got it in. He purchased it from Burson Automotive in Sunshine, so its an original Autel unit, not a knock off from overseas, I paid $1,600, which seems a bit much at the time, but, it was in mint condition, and complete with all the original adaptors, leads, Original user manual and latest software, and copies of all 3 software upgrades he paid for previously. He taped them to the back of the user manual to keep them all together as a backup, in saying that, I am asking $1,350 inc registered postage, if you know anyone that is interested in it, please let them know. there is nothing wrong with it, I would like to upgrade to a MS908P, where I can not justify having 2 unit's.
    [the mrs says I have to sell the DS708 to afford the MS908P]
    It was only yesterday I had to Programmed in my new VE Key, as my [original] day to day Key I use, the housing was cracked and the rubber buttons were perished, and I did drop my keys in a puddle a couple of weeks ago, and the transmitter started failing, [as you had to be next to the car for it to work]
    So I purchased a complete VE Key [non flip] on the Web for $68, got it cut on Thursday last week for $44, and programmed it in yesterday, and works perfectly.
    PS: I have programmed in a few VR to VZ key heads in the time of having it, made a few $ on the side.

3. gohrdrgomad

gohrdrgomad Active Member

Members Ride:
    VxCaly57
    There is a valve fitted inside the rack that becomes congested and induces erratic function when eregular oil service occurs, this including wear allows contamination to restrict operation. It could shudder, loose variable function characteristics or even block completely causing hard non functional power steering. I did experience this after purchasing the car. I'd have to turn of the car let it sit and restart for it to refuction when it blocked. As long as the power steering is operating even though spuratic, regular flushing of the system can remove oil contamination achieving normal operation as l have done over the past 45,000 ks. I flush with penrite atffs also refill, and it's as If it's a brand new system. I started with every thousand km atfer a flush vacuuming the oil reservaugh and refill with fresh atffs. Then at 3000k do a full drain and refill. Now at about 5k l drain/refill with are atf/full synth and still vacume the reservaugh 500ml ever 2500k. This is my experience in fault finding what may be a similar issue caused buy a lazy arse previous owner and or mechanic/s.

4. VFCalais2017

VFCalais2017 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
    Hi everyone,

I had 4 new Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus fitted last weekend. I have to admit that they are an extremely quiet and comfortable tyre. The dealer overinflated them to 40psi (not sure why they always do this as it makes for a very hard ride) but once I dropped them down to the recommended 29psi as per the tyre placard they ride like a limousine :D. Yet to test them in the wet but I'm sure they'll out perform the old Toyo Proxes 100's. Good value for money at $417 balanced and fitted with 50,000km warranty.

I'll keep you posted on their performance!

Cheers everyone :)

krusing likes this.
  5. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    40psi is much better for handling, aquaplaning, fuel economy, puncture resistance and tyre life. The tyre manufacturer favours these aspects as opposed to the vehicle manufacturer which generally favours comfort. 29psi is too low IMO - 36psi would be a happy medium.

VFCalais2017, krusing and figjam like this.
  6. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    I use …. wheel size X 2 +2 = lbs PSI. eg 17" X 2 = 34 +2 = 36psi.

krusing likes this.
  7. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VXII Clubsport
    29 sounds way too low.

8. krusing

krusing Member

Members Ride:
    I like that rule of thumb ;)

9. lout

lout Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VX Executive S2
    29psi will wear uneven
    i run commodores 34 for grocery getters
    36 for freeway cars

VFCalais2017 likes this.
  10. VFCalais2017

VFCalais2017 New Member

Members Ride:
    Hi everyone,

I've always run 29 to 32 psi and never really had any issues. Tyres are rotated regularly and wear evenly. I generally get 40K to 50K out of a set which I'm happy with. The higher pressure would give better fuel economy (currently averaging 10.5L/100km city driving for a V6) and offer less roll resistance but it firms up the ride too much. You feel every single bump and rut in the road :(The lower pressure allows for more 'give' in the tyre providing a softer smoother ride. The Calais has forgiving suspension and a great ride. I find that hard tyres don't do it justice ;)

Mind you, after reading some posts yesterday... I went and topped up to 32psi just to be on the safe side.

I also made sure I used genuine OEM Caltex Air as recommended by Holden :D

krusing and figjam like this.
  11. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    What grade is that OEM air, and how often do you change it ? ?? No mention in the owners manual about it.o_O

krusing and VFCalais2017 like this.
  12. VFCalais2017

VFCalais2017 New Member

Members Ride:
    It was in a service bulletin issued by Holden mid-VX so you won't find it in the manual.

Don't use thin air as it vanishes quickly. There's also hot air but this is mostly just BS :D

Holden recommend changing the air every 10,000kms. It's still good for another 5000kms though so you can sell the used air on eBay.

Most dealers also recommend to keep the spare tyre empty as the reduced weight in the boot greatly improves fuel economy ;)

Hope this helps :p

figjam and krusing like this.
  13. krusing

krusing Member

Members Ride:
    I did work for Caltex [in Black Rock - Melbourne] years go, 1975 > 1982 as a Driveway attended[ now I am showing my age :cool:], and the Caltex Air was free back then ;), We also had the Caltex Pressure Gauge, so we knew it was Caltex Air :rolleyes:, the customers loved it, since they didn't have to check to see what air they had in their tyres. :D

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 9:29 PM
    figjam and VFCalais2017 like this.
  14. krusing

krusing Member

Members Ride:
    Might be a good idea to have a personal Pressure Gauge, I had one of the glove box ones, and still have it, but its never used now, where I purchased a Compressor [Kit] a few year ago, included a Inflation Kit from Supercheap, and that came with one of those dial gauges, and was just ok.
    I waited till Supercheap had one of the professional Tyre Gauge on special, and bought one, and use that all the time, its more accurate than the Petrol Station gauges, being we are a six car family, makes more sense to DIY at home.

15. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Thank you, VFCalais and krusing, for that advice regarding such little known vehicle servicing facts.
    In the past, I have read scientific advice, mainly from tyre companies, regarding the benefits of specific chemical proportions of tyre air,
    I use an inexpensive electrical device which dispenses tyre inflation air at 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 1% argon, and only on days where the humidity is below 25%, so that the moisture content is low, and not cause rust on the inside of my alloy wheels.
    I am sure that some of the younger, or less experienced members of this forum will appreciate these gems of information. :)

16. wetwork65

wetwork65 A wet business

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
    Time to start a discussion on filling tyres with Nitrogen................(I wouldn't waste my money, but then I'm a Chemical Engineer so how would I know?)

figjam likes this.
  17. lout

lout Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VX Executive S2
    you guys are funny
    i remember a guy selling a USA pontiac that was 100% original
    right down to the factory air in the tyres

18. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/br...ndatory-tyre-pressure-monitoring-in-australia

Don't know if this in a good idea or not.
    More dumbing down of basic car maintenance for those who don’t care or know ?.
    A safety feature to prevent an unexpected catastrophe during a trip ?
    More expense and tech to make simple things complicated ?

I know a bloke who has TPMS on a luxo Jap car. I asked him how it works, what pressure, etc ……, answer, ‘Dunno, I take it to the dealer,’

19. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

Love to see alloy rust.....Must do some scientific research on this......