Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bridgestone Tyres for VX Calais & Variatronic Steering Issues

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hi krusing,

Thanks for the photo. My VX has a different setup for that. It has a full steel pipe that doubles back on itself. Pipe is still in perfect condition but I will check for any rubbing against the supports. I usually cut some fuel hose and wrap around pipes to stop vibration. Good to know that the can be replaced with a flexible hose option though. I may just do that still for confidence.

I was researching the high pressure hose for my VX this week (the one that runs from the pump to the rack). Apparently the variable effort steering has a different path number to standard steering. I thought this might have been the problem as I replaced mine with a standard hose. Had it confirmed by my friend with the Tech2 that the only difference is a support bracket to hold the pipe in place. Not difficult to make something up to support it though.

I believe the racks for VT to VZ are the same although the variable effort assist setup may have changed. I don't want to change the setup on the car because, like you, I want to preserve the car in orignal condition as it's an extremely clean and straight example. I don't mind putting extra money into the car to get everything perfect as long as it's guaranteed to resolve the issue. In the past 18 months, I've spent around $2000 on the car, mainly trying to get an ongoing igniton problem resolved (see my other thread). It's had regular servicing and preventative maintenance done on the car. I believe in fixing something before it becomes and issue on the road.

Here's a link to the showcase item for my car;

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showcase/2000-vx-calais-v6.3657/

I had Bridgestone call me yesterday too... they're insisting on the Serenity Plus as they come with a 50,000km warranty. Free regular checks for wear etc... I guess I just have to make the call when I'm ready to fit them. I also go by the look of the tyre and the T001 has a cleaner and smarter looking side wall in my opinion. I don't doubt that the Serenity would be a great tyre but it comes down to personal preference.

How much do you have the Autel DS708 Analyser selling for? I'm looking at other units at the moment. Would be handy to have, not just for the VX but also for the VF and my wife's Hyundai (sorry, not sure if I'm allowed to say Hyundai on this site :D )

Cheers :)

Bridgestone offered a couple of different styles when I was there getting a quote, and have to say the same, I liked the look of the T001, but their quote price was their downfall,
I checked the prices on all the tyres they gave me quotes on, on tyresales.com.au and it ended up cheaper all round.
as for the T001's, they are smooth and quiet, especially on a freeway. [now I can hear my wife talking to me, guess I will have to turn the radio up] ;)

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi krusing,

Thanks for the photo. My VX has a different setup for that. It has a full steel pipe that doubles back on itself. Pipe is still in perfect condition but I will check for any rubbing against the supports. I usually cut some fuel hose and wrap around pipes to stop vibration. Good to know that the can be replaced with a flexible hose option though. I may just do that still for confidence.

I was researching the high pressure hose for my VX this week (the one that runs from the pump to the rack). Apparently the variable effort steering has a different path number to standard steering. I thought this might have been the problem as I replaced mine with a standard hose. Had it confirmed by my friend with the Tech2 that the only difference is a support bracket to hold the pipe in place. Not difficult to make something up to support it though.

I believe the racks for VT to VZ are the same although the variable effort assist setup may have changed. I don't want to change the setup on the car because, like you, I want to preserve the car in orignal condition as it's an extremely clean and straight example. I don't mind putting extra money into the car to get everything perfect as long as it's guaranteed to resolve the issue. In the past 18 months, I've spent around $2000 on the car, mainly trying to get an ongoing igniton problem resolved (see my other thread). It's had regular servicing and preventative maintenance done on the car. I believe in fixing something before it becomes and issue on the road.

Here's a link to the showcase item for my car;

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showcase/2000-vx-calais-v6.3657/

I had Bridgestone call me yesterday too... they're insisting on the Serenity Plus as they come with a 50,000km warranty. Free regular checks for wear etc... I guess I just have to make the call when I'm ready to fit them. I also go by the look of the tyre and the T001 has a cleaner and smarter looking side wall in my opinion. I don't doubt that the Serenity would be a great tyre but it comes down to personal preference.

How much do you have the Autel DS708 Analyser selling for? I'm looking at other units at the moment. Would be handy to have, not just for the VX but also for the VF and my wife's Hyundai (sorry, not sure if I'm allowed to say Hyundai on this site :D )

Cheers :)

Just steering off the track for a moment [no pun intended :)] I have had the Autel DS708 for approx. 14 months, Purchased it from a Ford Mechanic [not sure I am allowed to say that also] as he had it when he worked at Ford in Broadmeadows before he was made redundant, he had only just paid for latest software upgrade for it [$400 AUD I think] and then he was supplied one from his new employer, so he sold his personnel one, it was in mint condition when I bought is, and still is, as I keep it in the hard carry case, and the original Cardboard Box he got it in. He purchased it from Burson Automotive in Sunshine, so its an original Autel unit, not a knock off from overseas, I paid $1,600, which seems a bit much at the time, but, it was in mint condition, and complete with all the original adaptors, leads, Original user manual and latest software, and copies of all 3 software upgrades he paid for previously. He taped them to the back of the user manual to keep them all together as a backup, in saying that, I am asking $1,350 inc registered postage, if you know anyone that is interested in it, please let them know. there is nothing wrong with it, I would like to upgrade to a MS908P, where I can not justify having 2 unit's.
[the mrs says I have to sell the DS708 to afford the MS908P]
It was only yesterday I had to Programmed in my new VE Key, as my [original] day to day Key I use, the housing was cracked and the rubber buttons were perished, and I did drop my keys in a puddle a couple of weeks ago, and the transmitter started failing, [as you had to be next to the car for it to work]
So I purchased a complete VE Key [non flip] on the Web for $68, got it cut on Thursday last week for $44, and programmed it in yesterday, and works perfectly.
PS: I have programmed in a few VR to VZ key heads in the time of having it, made a few $ on the side.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hi krusing,

Thanks for your response. Banter is good! Every piece of information and advice on these forums is useful. I hope my experiences are assisting other users too. It's strange to hear about the recall issue for the shuddering with your VY. I replaced the PS hose on my Calais last year and didn't have that issue. Unfortunately that's not the problem I'm experiencing at the moment although I did have a steering shudder issue last year. It turned out to be warped front discs. I ended up replacing with high end DBA discs and pads and the problem disappeared

The issue I'm having with the variatronic power steering at the moment is that the power assist is constant and not variable. It's very hard to steer at low 'parking' speeds but comfortable above 50kms. I personally fitteda recinditioned rack and power steering pump 2 years ago and a brand new solenoid fitted only last weekend. The solenoid did not fix the problem though but at least I'm confident with the new part as the wires on the old one had perished.

Last year though, I hit a kerb during wet weather. The car lost control coming out of a roundabout - the rear end fishtailed (rear tyres were Toyos and poor quality in my opinion) and this was at low speed too. Thankfully I regained some control of the car and was fortunate enough to get away with just hitting the kerb. No damage to my car (body wise) or any one else's. Only damage to my car was that the front left tyre blew out (no rim damage fortunately) and threw the steering wheel off centre by about 15 degrees.

After that I had the front tyres replaced and the wheel alignment redone. Steering was fine after that although the steering rack had developed its original knocking sound when racking the wheel whilst stationary. I'm not sure if this is what has caused the variatronic to fail over time since then.

When I first noticed it failing, a simple remedy was to turn the ignition off and then on again to reset itself. Over time the problem was more consistent until finally... no more variable power assist but I did notice that my biceps were becoming more prominent ☺️

I'm determined to resolve the problem though. A very good friend of mine in my car club has a workshop and he is going to run some tests with the Tech2 this weekend. He wants to check for a signal from the variatronic solenoid supply which comes from the BCM. I did a test using a multimeter and there is power between the two supply terminals of the plug. Not sure if this is sufficient diagnosis though. Apparently if the wires on the solenoid arc out, it can damage the circuitry in the BCM. Hoping that isn't the problem in my case.

I'll keep you updated after the tests are done. Could be that I've damaged the internals of the rack after hitting the kerb and broken the plastic valve in the rack housing.

As for the tyre prices you were quoted that seems quite expensive! My local Bridgestone quoted me $137 each for T001's in 215/60/16. They're $1 cheaper per tyre than the Serenity Plus. They're recommending the Serenity Plus over the Turanza but similar to your experience at Pedders, I'm doubtful of this advice. I believe they make more money from the Serenity Plus via Bridgestone when they are on special.

First task is to get the steering issue resolved and then I'll get the new tyres. I don't want to pour any more money into the car if this can't be resolved.

Thanks for your advice, I'll keep you updated.

Cheers ☺️
There is a valve fitted inside the rack that becomes congested and induces erratic function when eregular oil service occurs, this including wear allows contamination to restrict operation. It could shudder, loose variable function characteristics or even block completely causing hard non functional power steering. I did experience this after purchasing the car. I'd have to turn of the car let it sit and restart for it to refuction when it blocked. As long as the power steering is operating even though spuratic, regular flushing of the system can remove oil contamination achieving normal operation as l have done over the past 45,000 ks. I flush with penrite atffs also refill, and it's as If it's a brand new system. I started with every thousand km atfer a flush vacuuming the oil reservaugh and refill with fresh atffs. Then at 3000k do a full drain and refill. Now at about 5k l drain/refill with are atf/full synth and still vacume the reservaugh 500ml ever 2500k. This is my experience in fault finding what may be a similar issue caused buy a lazy arse previous owner and or mechanic/s.

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
That's excellent, I wouldn't of thought of it being the BMC, but yet again, nothing is impossible as the wires had shorted out, very unfortunate that you had to replaced the BMC, expensive exercise I can only assume, especially having to link it to the EMC,[haven't done it myself], but I guess we love our cars, with your step by step explanation, its sure to help Holden Buffs out there.
When you say the wires had shorted out, I am not surprised due to the location of the solenoid, the insulation on the wires would of become so brittle over the years and just flake off, being subject to PS oil, general environmental elements, and especially constant heat from the exhaust manifold in and around the engine in general over the years, as they say, nothing lasts for ever.
I haven't worked on VX or VY's with variatronic steering, or seen the solenoid installed, but have seen it in the service/repair manual I have for my VY.
Well done, and happy motoring. :)
Hi everyone,

I had 4 new Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus fitted last weekend. I have to admit that they are an extremely quiet and comfortable tyre. The dealer overinflated them to 40psi (not sure why they always do this as it makes for a very hard ride) but once I dropped them down to the recommended 29psi as per the tyre placard they ride like a limousine :D. Yet to test them in the wet but I'm sure they'll out perform the old Toyo Proxes 100's. Good value for money at $417 balanced and fitted with 50,000km warranty.

I'll keep you posted on their performance!

Cheers everyone :)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
40psi is much better for handling, aquaplaning, fuel economy, puncture resistance and tyre life. The tyre manufacturer favours these aspects as opposed to the vehicle manufacturer which generally favours comfort. 29psi is too low IMO - 36psi would be a happy medium.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I use …. wheel size X 2 +2 = lbs PSI. eg 17" X 2 = 34 +2 = 36psi.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
29 sounds way too low.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
29psi will wear uneven
i run commodores 34 for grocery getters
36 for freeway cars

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
Hi everyone,

I've always run 29 to 32 psi and never really had any issues. Tyres are rotated regularly and wear evenly. I generally get 40K to 50K out of a set which I'm happy with. The higher pressure would give better fuel economy (currently averaging 10.5L/100km city driving for a V6) and offer less roll resistance but it firms up the ride too much. You feel every single bump and rut in the road :(The lower pressure allows for more 'give' in the tyre providing a softer smoother ride. The Calais has forgiving suspension and a great ride. I find that hard tyres don't do it justice ;)

Mind you, after reading some posts yesterday... I went and topped up to 32psi just to be on the safe side.

I also made sure I used genuine OEM Caltex Air as recommended by Holden :D