Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brown sludge under radiator cap

Milo7201

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Acclaim VX2
Hi people,

My 2001 VXII Acclaim V6 has some brown sludge under the radiator cap. I wipe it off, but after a few days it appears again.
My mechanic says that it's due to some substance which is added to the coolant to keep some seals in order.

I still think that it's abnormal.

Does anybody have a same problem, please? Is this normal?

Thanks

Milo

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
holden used to add pellets to coolant which caused this.

other than that, you could have a busted inlet manifold gasket, or your radiator is busted internally and leaking trans fluid into your coolant.

Chris_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
i would suggest getting the system drained and flushed, had an old vl years back and i ignored the brown sludge, then water pump let go. mechanic said due to all the gunk in the radiator.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
My Calais has the brown sludge under the radiator cap. It only started after i changed the coolant and put the pellets in that holden recommend to use. I think the pellets cause the sludge.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
How Many KMs has the car done ? Most likely inlet Manifold gaskets, very common problem mate.

Done them on a VR & My VY Wagon, So yes its common lol

Last edited:

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
How Many KMs has the car done ? Most likely inlet Manifold gaskets, very common problem mate.

+1 to that. It can be those pellets, but if she's a bit older - most likely inlet manifold.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
It is the pellets that Holden use when they change the radiator fluid, no if's or but about it! Don't worry mate it's fine.

Kunu

chasing the big 300!!!
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
97VT SSsuper6(179rwkw),daily barina,2008 VE Clubby
I had exactly the same problem with my vt and never use the pellets,id flush the system n if re occurs then inlet for sure,i did mine and all gone apart from crap in run off box so take that out n flush it aswell :)

Vsfan95

Vsfan95
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series 2 Acclaim
Your water pump is gone. I had the same trouble on my VT 2. Radiator went, replaced it(no pellets added), brown sludge still there did my water pump no more sludge and has been like that ever since. The impeller shaft rusts after time causing the brown sludge.

V6Q

Reaction score
Members Ride
HQ ute with v6 commodore motor, gbox and diff
i had it in my vt paddock basher, i flushed it and put a external trans cooler and it has fixed the problem theres still a tiny bit but i think its just little bits that are coming loose over time