Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brown sludge under radiator cap

IMCRZY

YO!
Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Excutive Turbo, 00 VT Olympic Edition
Holden's pellets are a charcoal based substance and are not used at all anymore.... I had this oily problem with my first VT (and 100's of customers cars) and it was the trans cooler in the radiator 100%.... Its not engine oil because cooling system pressure is greater than the crank case pressure, ie: coolant will get into the oil rather than oil getting into the coolant.... Everyone will have different theories but this is my experience being in the industry for over 10 years and working at Holden for the last 4

HDT4EVER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 V6 VT S2 Custom HSV
I've got the same problem and my car has done 260023kms there is no water in the engine oil I reckon it's the radiator leaking internal I've got a new radiator should I change it and to flush the system what should I use ??

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I've got the same problem and my car has done 260023kms there is no water in the engine oil I reckon it's the radiator leaking internal I've got a new radiator should I change it and to flush the system what should I use ??

I personally would just drive the car until you know something is actually wrong with it.

aazzyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Calais
Plastic inlet manifold gaskets cause this. If you have no sludge under the oil cap and only under ur radiator cap. Your gasket is busted or has a crack which causes oil to seep through it and mix with ur water thus causing the brown sludge.

I suggest getting aluminum inlet manifold gaskets from mace and getting them changed.

Have had the same problem in my vy.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

HDT4EVER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 V6 VT S2 Custom HSV
There's no water on the engine oil cap but there's brown sludge on the radiator cap.. And I was thinking it was the transmission fluid !!!

HDT4EVER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 V6 VT S2 Custom HSV
There's no water on the engine oil cap but there's brown sludge on the radiator cap.. And I was thinking it was the transmission fluid !!! And I've also replaced the water pump as well..

aazzyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Calais
Unless its reddish it cant be ur tranny fluid, and also if it was it would also.be on the end of the tranny dipstick. If theres no sludge under ur oil cap. Then oils seeling throught the gasket and.mixing with ur water.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

HDT4EVER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 V6 VT S2 Custom HSV
Is it easy to do it yourself ??

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
There's no water on the engine oil cap but there's brown sludge on the radiator cap.. And I was thinking it was the transmission fluid !!!

What color is your engine oil?

Get some oil off of your engines dipstick and wipe it onto a rag or a tissue, get some of the sludge and do the same, compare the color of each substance and I'm pretty sure you will see that it is not oil.

I love it how people always say it's the inlet manifold gasket and oil it's leaking into the coolant. How many of you have perfectly brown engine oil that does not have a slight tinge of black to it? Again why is it always brown and never black?