Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buick V6- questions about a few bolt ons.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Does anybody know if the Mace memcal affects the transmission tune, or is it just engine?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
With what you propose you won't need a trans tune.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
I've found exhaust stuff is often cheaper in store than online.
2.5" is good on a V6. If it's too loud, swap the rear resonator for a straight through muffler. I like them loud tho.
Pacemakers are awesome to have, can be a pain to install. Driver side around the steering.
My advice is to get the car as high as you can safely off the ground, take the 2 bolts off the steering rack and use a pry bar to push it out of the way a few inches to get clearance to fit the pacemakers. (I did it this way over and over again when I was making/test fitting my turbo manifold.)
Check the extractors bolt torque after a few heat cycles.
Get a high flow cat fitted as well. Just take it to a cheap exhaust shop. You'll need some custom work to adapt the factory Y piece to the pacemakers anyway, may as well do the cat while they're cutting up the y piece.
I'd fit the pacemakers and just drive it to the exhaust shop sounding like a supercar without the rest of the exhaust and have them make the y piece and fit the rest of the system. Should really only be like... $500. Roughly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Will try to find pacemaker headers but they seem quite pricey. I think Pacemakers require welding, which I can’t do. I know that on my old LY7 VE SV6, they required cutting and rewelding of the factory Catalytic Converters.

Are Redback or Tiger headers any good?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The Y pipe attaches to the cat. Get the correct Y pipe and it should all be bolt on. At least it was with mine.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Mostly the same (except its a VS), but I had a local place make then fit the Y pipe all the way back to the Tip (so not an off the shelf unit).
So Y pipe, Cat, 2x Mufflers and tubing (Aluminised steel)
It already had Extractors (HM Headers) from ages ago.
Was 2 1/4 and not a 2.5 at a grand total of $660 but just to show you can get some decent prices.
Just checked, the Mufflers are Redback too.

See if you can find a 2nd hand set of extractors, get them recoated in a non baby blue colour and have some fun from there.

I'd avoid playing too much with the motor and all those other ideas (we have all been there at some stage, learn from our mistakes)
Keep it tidy and reliable, a not too loud exhaust (just making it breathe a little better).
Dont expect the car to become a rocket ship from the bolt ons.
Thats unless you want to go down the rabbit hole of really pushing it to its limits, which as most have found, the older v6s often will see boost if that path is taken.