Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buick V6- questions about a few bolt ons.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Will try to find pacemaker headers but they seem quite pricey. I think Pacemakers require welding, which I can’t do. I know that on my old LY7 VE SV6, they required cutting and rewelding of the factory Catalytic Converters.

Are Redback or Tiger headers any good?
do the exhaust first and worry about the headers later and there a few commodore buy sell swaps sites on facebook you can join and ask

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Mostly the same (except its a VS), but I had a local place make then fit the Y pipe all the way back to the Tip (so not an off the shelf unit).
So Y pipe, Cat, 2x Mufflers and tubing (Aluminised steel)
It already had Extractors (HM Headers) from ages ago.
Was 2 1/4 and not a 2.5 at a grand total of $660 but just to show you can get some decent prices.
Just checked, the Mufflers are Redback too.

See if you can find a 2nd hand set of extractors, get them recoated in a non baby blue colour and have some fun from there.

I'd avoid playing too much with the motor and all those other ideas (we have all been there at some stage, learn from our mistakes)
Keep it tidy and reliable, a not too loud exhaust (just making it breathe a little better).
Dont expect the car to become a rocket ship from the bolt ons.
Thats unless you want to go down the rabbit hole of really pushing it to its limits, which as most have found, the older v6s often will see boost if that path is taken.
It’s funny you say that about the paint. I’ve actually got a tin of Pacemaker blue paint at home

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Will try to find pacemaker headers but they seem quite pricey
1.5" primaries work best and bigger reduces torque in both engines including the Ecotec.

Reactions: Lex

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
I have a high flow cat on a non turbo V6 with pacemakers. Cat was only like $200 or something. It sounded much better with the high flow cat done.
Reducing the reductions in exhaust velocity makes for an angry performance sounding exhaust note.

Last edited:

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Are Pacemakers 1.5?
They are 1.5" primary.
They made competition / race versions in 1 3/4" and 1 5/8"

As awesome as pacemakers are, it's not worth spending $800+ unless you really want to push your NA performance pretty far. You'll get 85% of the result out of a $400 set of extractors. If you do find pacemakers cheap, sweet. But if not, probably not worth buying the at RRP.

Do either:
• Pacemakers + cam + head port + custom tune.
• Regular headers + bolt ons + mace memcal.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
They are 1.5" primary.
They made competition / race versions in 1 3/4" and 1 5/8"

As awesome as pacemakers are, it's not worth spending $800+ unless you really want to push your NA performance pretty far. You'll get 85% of the result out of a $400 set of extractors. If you do find pacemakers cheap, sweet. But if not, probably not worth buying the at RRP.

Do either:
• Pacemakers + cam + head port + custom tune.
• Regular headers + bolt ons + mace memcal.
Cheers. I am not going extreme on headers, however I want to go to the effort of putting headers and it turns out they are not good/ make a difference due to brand. I have found a set of Tiger headers. I have not heard of this brand so I am unsure if they will be good. They have a 1 5/8 primary, so not sure if they will cause the Buick to loose low down torque or if they are good

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
It's fine. Difference is 3mm. Let's just call it... Room for future head port matching.

You'll loose more low down torque due to a hot day than you will over 1/8" in the primaries.

Don't stress too much. As long as the pipes are pointed in the right direction it'll flow fine. I've done and seen some nasty exhaust stuff... There's gains and losses to be had, but it takes a fair bit of bad design to kill power.