Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Build options

H

harrop.senator

How much torque at the wheels on your 314kw engine?

Still be a lot as with stock manifold the 6 litres with a fairly decent cam are making peak hp at 62-6400. But they don't usually make peak torque til 4-4500 with quite a curve they're not a flat torque motor.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine starts to pull from about 3k on. But if you ease into it you don't notice the acceleration. Its when you gun it you notice it pull hard from 3k on.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Mine starts to pull from about 3k on. But if you ease into it you don't notice the acceleration. Its when you gun it you notice it pull hard from 3k on.
See my 355" on the other hand has spades of torque from 1000rpm. It's a tow motor that rpm's okay.
As you remember I loaded my truck full of stuff on a car trailer and there was not a hill that could stop me cruising at the legal speed limit (or faster if I wanted). And didn't need to (want to) rev it too much, so was all in the low rpm torque.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
See my 355" on the other hand has spades of torque from 1000rpm. It's a tow motor that rpm's okay.
As you remember I loaded my truck full of stuff on a car trailer and there was not a hill that could stop me cruising at the legal speed limit (or faster if I wanted). And didn't need to (want to) rev it too much, so was all in the low rpm torque.
I'm yet to really nail the VE. When I bought it bloke said it has really grippy Conts so don't try and gun it or **** will break. I'll admit I'm not keen on risking it. The little ZF might not like me if I give it too much stick. Plus I'm waiting for the springs and trunnions to be done before I push the engine. But yeah not much until 3k from what I can tell.
Yours was built and tuned for drags I believe? Not sure what a PO was hoping for when they upgraded on my bus.

H

harrop.senator

I'm yet to really nail the VE. When I bought it bloke said it has really grippy Conts so don't try and gun it or **** will break. I'll admit I'm not keen on risking it. The little ZF might not like me if I give it too much stick. Plus I'm waiting for the springs and trunnions to be done before I push the engine. But yeah not much until 3k from what I can tell.
Yours was built and tuned for drags I believe? Not sure what a PO was hoping for when they upgraded on my bus.

I haven't been in an LS without a pd blower that was impressive under 3 even on stock cam. They make peak torque around 4 even dead stock. Even the cams in the 230s usually make more torque and power from 3000 rpm plus. ( Haven't seen lower dyno videos to know). It's just the way they are , they're high flowing heads with decent size runners , it's hard to have low speed velocity when you're blowing through PVC pipe compared to a hose.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
there is so much misconception in this thread it's painful. The main difference between a Holden and LS is induction, if you put LS heads onto a 355 Holden short block it would make the exact same power as an LS1 with the same heads if pistons are the same.
So if induction is the difference in power this means if you have Holden style heads that flow say 360cfm and a good intake manifold that engine has 700hp power potential in flow.
If you have a set of decent ported heads making 280-320cfm with a good intake like a Harrop or TP then 300rwkw will be definitely obtainable.
With the bannans they're area matched to the standard ports in the cast iron heads and I can only see them making 350hp flywheel.

H

harrop.senator

there is so much misconception in this thread it's painful. The main difference between a Holden and LS is induction, if you put LS heads onto a 355 Holden short block it would make the exact same power as an LS1 with the same heads if pistons are the same.
So if induction is the difference in power this means if you have Holden style heads that flow say 360cfm and a good intake manifold that engine has 700hp power potential in flow.
If you have a set of decent ported heads making 280-320cfm with a good intake like a Harrop or TP then 300rwkw will be definitely obtainable.
With the bannans they're area matched to the standard ports in the cast iron heads and I can only see them making 350hp flywheel.

Apart from a roller cam a bottom ends job is to only hold together , I'm fairly sure most if not everyone in this thread knows the power is in the breathing capabilities.

Put a roller cam , the same compression , the same rpm possible rotating assembly at a similar weight and some aluminium heads to run a similar dynamic compression ratio that flow a similar CFM and an intake that can handle it it'll do it.

Whether it's a 302,304,305,307,308 if you're flowing the same CFM through the heads and intake with the same cam profiles the air pump doesn't care who casted the block....

It's simply the fact he's on a budget something you never seem to understand and the budget won't include CNC ported c.o.m.e ally heads , tie bar lifter roller set up and a good intake manifold plus adding a minimum of 700ccs of capacity to get even LS1 numbers.....

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Apart from a roller cam a bottom ends job is to only hold together , I'm fairly sure most if not everyone in this thread knows the power is in the breathing capabilities.

Put a roller cam , the same compression , the same rpm possible rotating assembly at a similar weight and some aluminium heads to run a similar dynamic compression ratio that flow a similar CFM and an intake that can handle it it'll do it.

Whether it's a 302,304,305,307,308 if you're flowing the same CFM through the heads and intake with the same cam profiles the air pump doesn't care who casted the block....

It's simply the fact he's on a budget something you never seem to understand and the budget won't include CNC ported c.o.m.e ally heads , tie bar lifter roller set up and a good intake manifold plus adding a minimum of 700ccs of capacity to get even LS1 numbers.....

Mate you can get the iron heads ported to 280cfm+ you don't need a roller cam to make good power you can make 500hp off a flat tappet cam. The only reason you need a roller cam is for higher RPM.

With stroker kits yea it's more expensive in the whole price untill you look at power production and how much money you can save. Say you want to make 550hp fly with 304ci you'll likely need a roller cam with expensive springs, lifters, valves, more port work and manifold work ect ect. Now if you stroke to 383ci you can make that 550hp at a lower RPM using softer springs and a flat tappet cam. The less RPM you have the less spring you need which means less rocker, less pushrod, less lifter and a cheaper cam.

So the more cubic inch you can get into an engine the better as it'll always drop RPM needed to hit your power goal. Even on forced induction engines the more cubes the better as you need less heat forced into the intake.

Literally the only time more capacity is not a good idea is in racing classes where they're ruels limited to stop pistons breaking.