Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a VE SS - black?

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Hi all,

Well it's been a long long time since I was on these forums! Finally decided to go back to a V8 and buy a VE SS :)

I'm looking specifically at manual sedans and wagons, preferably Z series with a sunroof.

Having a lot of difficulty finding a clean tidy car that hasn't been resprayed and comes with a full service history.

As a last resort I am going to check out some black VE's. I've never owned a black car before. Can anyone tell me what I am in for here?

My car will not be garaged and I live in an area with lots of trees.

Thanks,

Adam

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Owning a black car is like having a supermodel for a girlfriend. They look great when they're done up but they're a hell of a lot of work.
I've got an outdoor black car and after a few days from a cleaning it's dirty as hell again. We've got an alto grey commodore and that colour just hides the dirty sooooo much better.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Very difficult to keep clean. Show every scratch. Look great when clean and scratch free. Look awful when not. Also get very hot in summer. I would keep looking. There must be some good ones out there in other colours unless you want to put the work in to keep a black one looking good and you can find a clean one to start with.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
I would keep looking. There must be some good ones out there in other colours unless you want to put the work in to keep a black one looking good and you can find a clean one to start with.

Honestly there aren't. I've looked at about 10 and they've all more or less been resprayed at some stage. I am sticking to VE SS V's (preferable series II) with low kms, preferable 50k or under.

I don't mind white, silver, alto grey and chlorophyll but that's about it.

I do always take care of my car but from what I've been told black shows every imperfection and requires a lot of work. I am wondering whether it will annoy the hell out of me!

I am checking out a black one tonight. Fingers crossed it's perfect.

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
If you're happy to hit the car wash 1-2 times a week (depends on how often it rains really), or even better, hand wash, then its fine and worth it imo.

Had mine for about a month now and I've washed it probably 7-8 times. It's completely stock and you still get the odd "niiiice" when driving past people :)

Gave it a polish last week and although it did almost nothing for the scratches, it makes the black... "blacker"... thing looks almost like its wet now.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Honestly there aren't. I've looked at about 10 and they've all more or less been resprayed at some stage. I am sticking to VE SS V's (preferable series II) with low kms, preferable 50k or under.

I don't mind white, silver, alto grey and chlorophyll but that's about it.

I do always take care of my car but from what I've been told black shows every imperfection and requires a lot of work. I am wondering whether it will annoy the hell out of me!

I am checking out a black one tonight. Fingers crossed it's perfect.

Chlorophyll is very nice but probably hard to find as it wasn't around for long. White, silver, grey, black have been standard colours for many years. So if you are happy with those you should be able to find one.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I took the black one for a test drive.

What can I say.. it felt great. Nothing quite like driving a dark black SS with tinted windows. Felt pretty batman like.

It was in pretty good condition except it has had the rear bar sprayed and I think possible spray to the back left quarter panel. At any rate a very decent spray job.

I'm just not sure how I feel about spending 30k on a car that's had spray work done. Hmmm...

There are a few other black ones I'll check out this week.

In the meantime going to decide whether I take the plunge and get a black car.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Black is the best

Just use a quality polish, when wet the water will bead of nicely.