Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying cars with a lot of k's

The_Captain

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute
High k's I agree! If you're not mechanically minded why not opt for a check from a qualified mechanic/racv?

Ask for a compression test etc

Do a search for what to look for as there have been plenty of posts on this subject

Best of luck but be careful

Cheers !

slutvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Ute series II
thanks for the feedback guys really appreciate the help. ive asked for the phone number and adress of the mechanic he goes to aand am gonna go sus out everything about it through the week and he agreed to let me take it there on my own and get it checked so he hasnt got much to hide by the sounds of it (so i hope) and its a 93 model. so for 19 years old cant expect anything better

steve44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
suzuki's are a good little car! my mums got a sierra with 320 000 kms on it and still running (good for a 1.3 litre),
has the vitara motor had a rebuild or replace?
sorry, it's got 383000 kms. just caught up with mumsy 2day.
a few things have f#cked up on it but nothing major, its full of rust but my gramps keeps up with mechanical maintance

ozrockracing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute Series III
For a 19 year old car the K's are sounding a lot better than I first thought, I would still be getting an independant mechanical assessment on the car.

His mechanic has a fiduciary responsibility to his client, so he is unlikely to offer up any known problems, whereas an independant mechanic is working for you, and putting his name to the fitness of the vehicle, giving you an oportunity to come back at him in down the track if anything that he should have discovered and missed, turns up in the immediate future.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
vitaras rust like crazy (rwc item)
vitaras tip over
vitaras failed most crash tests, why they were ever allowed in aus is beyond me.
suzuki make engine that last almost as long as toyota.
suzuki parts are not cheap but there are heaps of spares.
vitaras are ugly and make you seem like a homosexual.

4 nei, 2 yea

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I bought both of my last 2 cars with over 300,000km on them.

My subaru I managed to rack up 450,000 before I did any work on the engine and the commodore I just did gaskets etc to keep it healthy.

Aslong as you know what your looking for and can see the cars past then you should be right.

Mileage doesn't mean much to me anymore, I buy a car on the condition and history of the car, not the mileage

slutvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Ute series II
vitaras rust like crazy (rwc item)
vitaras tip over
vitaras failed most crash tests, why they were ever allowed in aus is beyond me.
suzuki make engine that last almost as long as toyota.
suzuki parts are not cheap but there are heaps of spares.
vitaras are ugly and make you seem like a homosexual.

4 nei, 2 yea

As long as the engine lasts long Im happy. And in saying thatbid rather drive a homosexual car than spend my whole weeks pay filling up my commodore haha.

slutvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Ute series II
I bought both of my last 2 cars with over 300,000km on them.

My subaru I managed to rack up 450,000 before I did any work on the engine and the commodore I just did gaskets etc to keep it healthy.

Aslong as you know what your looking for and can see the cars past then you should be right.

Mileage doesn't mean much to me anymore, I buy a car on the condition and history of the car, not the mileage

I'm honestly in the same boat. It's not like I'm gonna have it for 10 years I just want a cheap runabout that's good on fuel and can take me On the beach and bush :)

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS

This man hit the nail on the head. Would you rather a car with 100k, serviced twice in its life and had the **** raped out of it. Or a car with 300k that's well serviced and looked after?

slutvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Ute series II
This man hit the nail on the head. Would you rather a car with 100k, serviced twice in its life and had the **** raped out of it. Or a car with 300k that's well serviced and looked after?

THAAAAAAAAAAANKYOU! ive been thinking that the whole time. just another update, the dude who owns it is 55 which is a positive! ive been talking to him, am going to drive it next week and take it to my mechanic which he agreed to let me do. will let youse all know how i go