Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how many k's are too many? and what will need to be done to the engine for the next 30,000+ k's (IS IT WORTH BUYING A VY CLUBSPORT WITH 270,000K'S?)

05vzcommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore
Hi everyone, I'm looking at a Manual ClubSport that has 270,000k on it it's an LS1. what should I look out for/ what will need to be done servicing-wise within the next 30,000+ k's? like will I need to get new crankshaft bearings, new camshaft, new heads, new pistons/rod, new pushrods etc just what I should be expecting that will need doing or might need doing with the engine due to it having that many Ks. any bit of information will help me a lot. cheers everyone

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
How much is the car and what is your cash reserve for repairs and maintenance ?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Impossible to know, It might run another 100,000km or it could blow up the minute you take it out of the driveway.

It's kinda like asking, how long is a piece of string?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
At that mileage be expecting the usual big ticket things to let go or need rebuilding.

They're tired around 200k mark ticking lifters,worn cam lobes & oil leaks are a given then auto & lsd

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
At that mileage be expecting the usual big ticket things to let go or need rebuilding.

They're tired around 200k mark ticking lifters,worn cam lobes & oil leaks are a given then auto & lsd
I'm on 230k L98, no rattles or oil burning. Last comp test was 185-190 across the cyls. That was at about 190-195k. Oil leaks were a problem. Cost me about $2k to sort the RM and sump leak, but that was renewing mounts and a few other things while they were there. Had leaking crank seal but that was a $50 job, plus another $140, roughly for new PB balancer. Didn't need doing but I thought while I was there why not. I

I'm a bit about future proofing when doing jobs and probably don't need too but I also don't like doing the same thing twice.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Loshy if you had heard & seen my vy sv8 you would have had a hearty haha

Even I would flinch when working under bonnet of that tickety lifter,rear main seal leaking sumbitch.

It was trashed when I got it but kept going untill wasnt allowed to register it again as car wasn't worth it imho.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Does the LS1 not last as long as an L98, or was it moreso PO didn't like spending money on cars?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
They've all got issues once mileage racks up.

Early vt ls1 were the worst warranties...slowly they got better with each model but age & mileage will get best of them.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They've all got issues once mileage racks up.

Early vt ls1 were the worst warranties...slowly they got better with each model but age & mileage will get best of them.
Mine runs beautifully and no major issues for a car with 230k on it. I've "had" to do a fair bit of maintenance but get that with any old car.
I only had minor oil weeps nothing defectable or unroadworthy if I needed an inspection but any leak annoys me so I like to have them sorted.

I was under the impression the basics of any LS engine were the same? Few different components used but pretty much the same design throughout the years? I'm surprised to hear that a VY could have heaps of problems, unless it's been neglected.