Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
I just been talking to my parent's about a car, and with the Dilemas with my VB:
http://forums.justcommodores.com//index.ph...hp?showtopic=60

I thought bugger it.. I will sell the car/parts for what I can get out of it, save up my dollars and buy a VL Commodore, what I always wanted.

My brother doesnt want me to buy one as he thinks it's all plastic cr4p, but my bro's friend owns one and he's done his up nicely.. Can I get some tips/opinions please.

Trent.

coastvl

Member from the dead!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EQUIPE six
Man I've had my Vl for 10 years and it hasn't missed a beat.Tell your brother to pull his head in.They are economical and built very well.They do have their rust problems too.Check around the windscreens(big rust spot).Check the head for signs of a cracked head (big dollars to fix),ie;milky water.
They are a great car.
Cheers
Glenn

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
right, vl, ok, first, get this around your head, km's dont matter anymore, ignore what's on the oddomoter. make sure your head is fine, start the car, and walk around to the front, take of the oil filler cap, and give the car a quick burst of gas from the inside of engine bay, if oil comes out of the filler cap, simply put the cap back on and walk away and dont buy that one (blown piston rings) very bad, keeps oil at top of engine and not at bottom, you will run bottom dry and it will die. look at dipstick check for off white colourd oil, if it's off white, walk away, blown head gasket. look at radiator cap, if there are bubbles in it when car is running, walk away, blown head gasket. look at master brake cylinder, if it's leaking, expect to pay about 170-200 for a new master cylinder. look at tail shaft, give it a wiggle, if it moves, your looking at new uni's front and back. rip out your auto trans dip stick. if oil is deep red or your rub your hands on the stick and get a black mark on your finger's, walk away, gear box will die on ya. (only for auto) look under rear boot seal for signs of rust. look on the front windscreen for rust, and check the rear tail light seals for rust. look under the floor covering for rust. make sure that when you start it that it doenst go straight to hot on temp gadge( very very bad, wrong thermistat or it's on it's way out) not to bad to replace, but if not done, will cause car head to crack,

other than that, that's pretty much all you have to look for, my advice, if your gonna get a vl, make sure you take a mate with ya who's got a brain in his head, or take your old man if he's pretty switched on with car's, or even better, get a mechanic to do a evaluation on it for ya

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
K, I have made up my mind to buy a VL (if I get a calais it will be a bonus!) for around $1000-$1500
What can I do to a car so that it will be insurance friendly?

C

chaz

paid to much

hi guys... i brought myself a vl for $1000.. its at 1987.. 15in brand new paint job.. new 2.5... near new interier...brand new tyres all straight pannels its a straight 6.. it only has a little rust in the boot and it needs a tune oh and the radiator needs flushing.. do you think i paid to much or good price.. there is nothing realy wrong with it i just got told i paid to much for it????? :confused: :unsure:

G

Goon Eagle

It almost sounds too good. I would of thought that the mags, tyres, interior, etc. would be worth more than you paid.

C

chaz

yeah well i got it of a mate but he wanted to put the price up on it but he said $1000 to me first... well he had the vl befor he got his vs ss and he said he spent about 4000 on it then decided he wanted the vs so the vl hasnt done much work since he got the new car i think he just wanted to get rid of it... wat is the main thing i have to be carefull and check cause i dont want a shita.. oh and one thing i didnt mention b4 ts fu#@en low but they are the proper lowerd spring and shocks not cut...