Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais hazard flasher

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
The biggest **** with wiring in my car is having the alarm under the dash. It's just a plain bad idea. Too many wires, too much mess and no where to move. It's a big jungle of crap atm. I can't wait to relocate it in my engine bay inside one of those diecast boxes mounted on the chassis, then I would be able to see under the dash.

I replaced my alarm this weekend and I didn't make the mistake of wiring it under the dash again for that very reason (the central locking still resides there, screwed next to the wiper dwell module).

You don't need to mount it under the hood for it to be out the way though, I didn't. There's plenty of other void, hidden spaces in the cabin if you look hard enough ;)

edit: oh and it is SO MUCH BETTER not having the alarm there too! I can certainly identify with the 'jungle of crap' comment :)

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Dang it! Pulled the wheel off 10 minutes ago. I looked at the indicator switch plastic housing and the hazard switch is connected to it, so almost unrepairable. What a swine.
I might have to pull one off at the wreckers. I might get two of them if available. I doubt Holden would have them anymore.

As for the alarm, I ripped the whole lot off under the dash. I couldn't have that crap bundled up like that. Now I have tons more room under there again. Maybe now I can connect my air duct pipe back on. The lower part of my dash has plastic broken and the alarm kept sinking down and was getting in the way of my pedals. I am DEFINATELY going to put it in the engine bay. It would be more secure anyway, and I am a big fan of wiring tidyness. I hate dodgy backyard wiring fixes.

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
I strongly suggest that you keep the alarm and all necessary wiring inside the cabin. A lot of people mount them behind the kick panels.

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
I know what you mean about the switch, I had to replace mine when it got mangled... lasted for a couple of years, now my right indicator stays on... but at the slightest turn of the wheel it clicks back :(

Easy job mind you... but I can't find my steering wheel puller! :(

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I just noticed my indicator stalk has a crack in it. More problems...

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
I just noticed my indicator stalk has a crack in it. More problems...

good luck finding one in cerelean... I had to lower myself and put a black one in after mine broke. You'd think something that was a known problem even back on the HZs and possibly earlier (not that familiar with HQ HJ HX series anymore) would have been well and truly fixed by Holdens in 1984...

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
True. I have seen genuine ones go on ebay for heaps. I keep hearing the elcheapo ones aren't great. If I have to go black then I have no choice.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Cool man. Cheers. :)