Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam in LS1 - big improvements?

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
For those with aftermarket camshaft... did you notice a big improvement once the cam was put in? I pulled 250rwkw on the dyno with stock cam, bolt -ons and tune, and have been told to expect around 280rwkw with a cam. Now 30rwkw isn't a huge improvement, after all my car gained more than that simply with intake, exhaust and tune. I understand this is peak power, so does a cam provide more low-mid range power, and less high end power when compared to what bolt-ons and tune offer?

Thanks Fellas....

ricecooker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
its not all about the peak power. a small cam will provide you with **** loads of torque which is what you feel on the street. 30rwkws doesnt seem like much but it should hammer on the street. Also yes go have a look on ls1 there is so much more info then on here about that kinda stuff. good luck

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh as johnvtls1 said will bring more low down torque that you will want more than peak power, put more power in and your torque will sufer, won't feel as punchy, put more torque in and will feel more punchy and quicker of the line and the distance and maybe a bit smoother, also things like over fueling i think results in less torque, etc so things like too big an injector or too much air coming in cause there's too much lift in the cam, etc, might be wrong but thats the sort of idea how it works, etc. just got to find the right cam and balance for what you want and need and you'll get the results your looking for.

DEMONLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vxss
250 rwks with just a tune and bolt on mods i would be stoked with that most people are happy to get 230rwks !!!! the right cam will give you some pretty healthy gains in both power and torque !!!! I gained 40 rwks with the cam i chose....

Last edited:

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Can you guys recommend a cam? It needs to by lumpy but not too bad, don't want it sounding like a drag car and get too much cop attention. Also, should i change the timing chain or not when i change the cam?

Thanks.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
there are hundreds of cams mate. what do you want from the car? do you car about fuel economy? do u want low down power or mid too top end? Personally id recomend
comps 220/220 112lsa or 224/228 112lsa

Not too fussed about fuel economy... the more power the better. As for power, probably low-mid range. Also, what do the numbers mean... i.e. '220/220 112lsa' and '224/228 112lsa'.
Thanks.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
The 224/224 is the duration of the intake/exhaust valve. LSA is the lobe seperation angle. The ls1 with standard heads seem to like a split duration camshaft where the exhaust duration is longer than the intake eg 224/228. The lsa will determine the idle quality & also have an effect on the torque range. A small LSA eg 110 will give a lumpier idle & raise the peak power but in a narrow area of the rpm range. Larger LSA will smooth the idle & help the power come on earlier & much broader in the rev range, with a sacrifice to peak performance
There are other factors like the intake centreline which have an effect on valve events & how the cam will perform.
This is only the basics & you would be best talking to a reputable tuner or engine builder to work out what is best for your needs.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
The 224/224 is the duration of the intake/exhaust valve. LSA is the lobe seperation angle. The ls1 with standard heads seem to like a split duration camshaft where the exhaust duration is longer than the intake eg 224/228. The lsa will determine the idle quality & also have an effect on the torque range. A small LSA eg 110 will give a lumpier idle & raise the peak power but in a narrow area of the rpm range. Larger LSA will smooth the idle & help the power come on earlier & much broader in the rev range, with a sacrifice to peak performance
There are other factors like the intake centreline which have an effect on valve events & how the cam will perform.
This is only the basics & you would be best talking to a reputable tuner or engine builder to work out what is best for your needs.

Thanks for that. So essentially, if you want a lumpy idle, you would be sacrificing low-mid power, and have more high end power?
If i went for a cam recommended by johnvtls1 220/220 110lsa would that be okay with stock heads? Why don't stock heads like having the same number i.e. 220/220
Also what is fuel consumption determined from?... the intake/exhaust valve or lsa?
Also what specs is the stock cam?

Thanks.