Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam in LS1 - big improvements?

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
mine made 214rwkws with difillipo 4into1 + 2.5inch exhaust OTR and mafless but one of my tyres did die on the dyno which apparantly set the knock sensors off so it may have made more. 261 is a massive number. if i make that with cam and ls6 manifold ill be happy.

300kwsv8

261rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 5.7auto
mine made 214rwkws with difillipo 4into1 + 2.5inch exhaust OTR and mafless but one of my tyres did die on the dyno which apparantly set the knock sensors off so it may have made more. 261 is a massive number. if i make that with cam and ls6 manifold ill be happy.

Yeah its the best VZ hes had so far so Im pretty happy but put it on the strip last week with a best time of 13.63et but had my 19inch street tyres on and could not get traction so buying some 15inch cop spec rims with soft compond tyres and have another go

300kwsv8

261rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 5.7auto
u should be running better then that with that power? im told to expect low 12's in mine with a cam that will only net me around 250rwkws and possible 11's with stall but thats with drag tyres etc. Is that your first time down the strip?

Yeah first time ever, my mate with the VX with 254rwkw was constent 13.2s and it was his first time too. So maybe I need some practice lol

VYClubby

Proud Clubby Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
294rwkw Oztrack Tuned 220 cam
I have a 220/220@112 LSA with .581 lift Comp Cam with XER lobes. My car made 283rwkw, the little cam is great. It idles with a bit of chop, but still has stock manners, which is what I was after as I drive in heavy Sydney traffice everyday. It is VERY torquey and will easily send me sideways when I stab the gas. It doesn't need to build up RPM to bring on the power, like a big cam, it is there as soon as you hit the gas, and it stays strong. My economy is alot better than it was with the stock cam and HSV tune.

I have run it down the 1/4 but my stock clutch is shagged, so the time wasn't great. I have a mate with the same cam in a Maloo and he has done a 12.4 in full street trim, so an 11 with Drag Radials is possible.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Thanks for that info VYClubby. Just wondering, have you done your heads? Also what dyno was that on?
So 220/220 112lsa seems to be a well recommended cam. I assume people here recommend comp cams?

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Comp Cams do have the runs on the board over here & you wont go wrong using them. There are however many cam manufacturers around that do just as good a job. Unfortunately the way everyone tends to follow like sheep in the ls1 scene they dont get as much free advertising on forums.

VYClubby

Proud Clubby Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
294rwkw Oztrack Tuned 220 cam
Thanks for that info VYClubby. Just wondering, have you done your heads? Also what dyno was that on?
So 220/220 112lsa seems to be a well recommended cam. I assume people here recommend comp cams?

That's with stock throttlebody, heads and cats. I have dynoed my car at the same place since it was stock. When it was just mafless it ran 248rwkw on the same dyno, so the cam gained me around 35rwkw peak power, but it has ALOT more torque. It's a DD dyno. I am waiting for someone to do a dyno day that has a Mainline so I can compare.

Seeing as a 220/220 is a smallish cam make sure you go with XER lobes. Even though some people say XER lobes are hard on the valvetrain, just fit double valve springs at the same time. Using those lobes will net you the most grunt with a cam that has the manners you desire.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Seeing as a 220/220 is a smallish cam make sure you go with XER lobes. Even though some people say XER lobes are hard on the valvetrain, just fit double valve springs at the same time. Using those lobes will net you the most grunt with a cam that has the manners you desire.

When you say 220/220 is a smallish cam, how small? Seeing as i'm spending the money, i want to get the biggest one i can without making it too rough. The main reason for this is i don't want cops all over me. From what i've seen in in this video (see: 17092008014.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting) i don't want a cam that sounds that rough. It was a crow 226/231 110.

Any chance i could bother you and get you to record your car so i can hear what it's like?

Thanks.