Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam Surge

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
That would be an interesting test if an illegal service is covered by ACL, even if purchased in good faith without the vendor making such position clear.

Business - sorry your honour but as the goods / service I provide are illegal, you have no jurisdiction in this instance. :D

Do tunes come with disclaimers such as "for offroad use only" ?
when u apply the credits to flash a ecu for the first time (license the vehicle to your module) it has the ''for off road use only'' to cover the tuning brand, there has always been that WP tune grey area where some may/may not pass emissions and they were sold thru holden dealers

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
when u apply the credits to flash a ecu for the first time (license the vehicle to your module) it has the ''for off road use only'' to cover the tuning brand, there has always been that WP tune grey area where some may/may not pass emissions and they were sold thru holden dealers

Do tuning houses advise their customers of this ?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
not sure but id think they would just expect there customers to assume it, maby they leave it open like that as a grey area if nothing was said, unless someone specifically says they need it for emissions which id think to be rare

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
there has always been that WP tune grey area where some may/may not pass emissions and they were sold thru holden dealers
AIUI, it‘s not a grey area at all as any modification to any emissions systems required recertification which is cost prohibitive. Some things are singled out as being allowed, like extractors and exhaust systems, with provisos, but as the ecu is a key factor in emissions compliance, fiddling with bits and bytes will technically put you in the poo should any regulator want to make an example of you :eek: And just because such rules are not enforced doesn’t change the legality of ECU tunes because the grey is around the level of enforcement :p

It‘s spelt out in VSB 15 section LA Engines, section 3.1.3 that after market ECU require certification. The implication is that a tune on a factory ECU will result in the factory ECU no longer being compliant and thus need recertification (if it’s not spelt out later in the doc)…

Interestingly, even modifying the TCU is illegal in Victoria as clearly stated in this doc , something I didn't know :rolleyes:

But legalities haven’t stopped many doing even really obviously illegal mods on their cars :p

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

If you are interested enough in your car to do a few mods that require a tune, I would have thought 99.9999999999999% of those customers would already realise this was the case.

Of course there will always be one in a crowd that doesn't get it.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
If you are interested enough in your car to do a few mods that require a tune, I would have thought 99.9999999999999% of those customers would already realise this was the case.

Of course there will always be one in a crowd that doesn't get it.

Not sure on that generalisation.

I expect many people get OTRs, exhaust and tunes coz that's what ya do for the powahs with no thoughts to the legal implications of doing so.

I also expect many people buying second hand are unlikely to be aware.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Not sure on that generalisation.

I expect many people get OTRs, exhaust and tunes coz that's what ya do for the powahs with no thoughts to the legal implications of doing so.

I also expect many people buying second hand are unlikely to be aware.

I only say that because almost none of my friends or family have an interest in my cars and yet they've made comments on exhausts and stuff on some of my cars and said things like ain't that illegal and doesn't it worry you the Police will pull you over.

If people who have no interest in cars have an idea it may not be legal, surely with exceptions the majority of owners modifying their cars must have some understand the legalities of it.

Sh*t I don't know how many rims I've bought over the years that had 'For Off Road Use Only' stamped inside them.

So maybe the supplier of the tune should push the legal responsibility onto the purchaser by advising them in writing on a quote or invoice that the changes are for 'Off Road Use Only'.

It would be interested to see the outcome if a customer took the tuner to court for supplying illegal changes to their vehicle, not that I could ever see it happening.