Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Camaro Brembo brake upgrade on VE SS

Cocopopz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS MY9.5, VL LS2
Has anyone completed a Camaro Brembo brake upgrade on a VE yet. I believe the front calipers are a straight bolt on but I am unsure of what disc to use. Also is anyone producing kits to fit the rear calipers. I also think there is a handbrake mod that needs doing if someone can elaborate on this for me. Any other information would be great.

2010Camaro650.jpg

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
If you do some reasarch on this fourm and a couple of others all the info is out there! I personal wouldnt fit the brakes pictured in the above photo as you have to drill the mounting holes out on your car.

I fitted the silver brembos which dont require any modding at all. Straight bolt on!

VPbomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX clubsport
Yep, what VTSS350 said.
Have you bought these yet? Look into 04-07 CTS-V calipers... they use 4 piston brembos which are direct fittment to the VE with no drilling out the knuckle. You should be able to get front and rear CTS-V calipers new delivered with all the required gear for around $850 from the states (or cheaper 2nd hand).

Which ever setup you go, you need to make sure your wheels clear HSV brakes (so not all 19" rims will fit).

Cocopopz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS MY9.5, VL LS2
Cheers for the info, do the CTS-V rear calipers bolt straight up? also do you know what discs are used. I have tried to search this but I think I must be challenged using this function.

VPbomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX clubsport
Cheers for the info, do the CTS-V rear calipers bolt straight up? also do you know what discs are used. I have tried to search this but I think I must be challenged using this function.

Uses same front redline discs in the GXP HSVs, and a VE HSV rear disc. Only mod is trimming rear dust shield as caliper is obviously bigger, and the pad needs to be trimmed (or you can go through GSLrally off here and have the pad trimmed 4mm for you for a little extra if using QFM pads).
Here's a good read, goes through your first post on camaro calipers vs the CTS-V setup (remember this is a US site, so the cost of HSV discs is a lot less here):
w w w .g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45599

Cocopopz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS MY9.5, VL LS2
Wow that link was so useful. I contaced GSLrally and he is supplying practacly everthing I need including pads and discs f&r. Im going a head with the camaro caliper. Having to ream out the nuckle is not much of a problem for me. One thing I am a little confused with still is if you need to used brakets for the rear caliper when using a hsv style rear rotors?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
If you ever had an accident and insurance company picked up that non standard brakes were fitted and holes drilled out you'd have 0% chance of payout....

You'd be surprised how far they go if they can save 30 000 - 40 000 for their employer !

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
Wow that link was so useful. I contaced GSLrally and he is supplying practacly everthing I need including pads and discs f&r. Im going a head with the camaro caliper. Having to ream out the nuckle is not much of a problem for me. One thing I am a little confused with still is if you need to used brakets for the rear caliper when using a hsv style rear rotors?

Its not a problem for me to do either but what if you have an accident or want to put the car back to standard for sale?

Thats why I decided to use the silver brembos as they are straight bolt up not mods required!

VPbomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX clubsport

Yeah, i've done a bit of research on the pros/cons for this I I just went through it all. Just waiting on discs etc to arrive before fitting up.
Re: rear brackets, you don't for the CTS-V. I'm pretty sure you don't for the chev calipers as the HSV rotor is expensive compared to what they can get in the US, plus they have to trim around 4mm of pad... but with the bracket they can go a bigger rotor and no trim of the pad... might be wrong, been a while since I looked into chev caliper so can't quiet remember.
Drilling out the knuckle, and the possibility of the e-brake shoe busting down the track meaning weeks of waiting for a replacement (happened to a few in the states) means I was turned off these... plus the fact they have "chevrolet" writen on the caliper was too much of a wannk factor for me (sorry to offend if that's your thing!). If I was willing to drill out the knuckle, I would have gone the '10 CTS-V 6 piston fronts for a little more... see here!: w w w .camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71401

Cocopopz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS MY9.5, VL LS2
Wow I am really amazed how many people are scared of there insurance company, I have had cars with more mods than this and they have always been happy to payout. Might be a different story if you kill someone though. GSLrally have front are rear discs for dirt cheap at the moment and have custom rear rotors made with a different wiper slot to suit there pads. I see there are of people are buying these calipers brand new from the states (Camaro/CTS-V) But does anyone know from where? I found this place but I typed in what I though was the correct p/n but at this price it cant be correct for one brand new Brembo caliper http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-caliper-89047742.html I also need pin kit and bolts. If I can buy the parts new I might even use CTS-V front calipers and Camaro rears (even though I believe the rears are the same, I have seen these bolted on) Does anyone have P/n's for Camaro and CTS-v calipers, pin kits and bolts. I will just use the four spots at the moment then I might upgrade to 6 spots and sell on the fronts as a kit. The Chevy logo will be removed.......