Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Camaro Brembo brake upgrade on VE SS

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by Cocopopz, Jan 15, 2012.

1. gslrallysport

gslrallysport Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ AWD One Tonner
    The larger rear rotor (ie. the Camaro equivalent) won't work on the VE as the handbrake drum offset and size is different. Pretty much just run the HSV rear, and either have the pad overhang, or grab one of our custom made pads to suit. HPX are $119, A1RM are $179. Fronts to match are $110 and $149 respectively.

With regards to rotors, easiest option on both is the 4000 Series Front to suit Redline, which are currently on special, $150.15 each, and then we've got straight slot HSV rear 4000 series rotors in stock which we had made to match, $231 each.

2. bonners

bonners New Member

Members Ride:
    Sting SV Black Edition Tourer
    Greg, above, is who I have told all 'my' purchasers to get their rotors from. If you check out the pics of my fronts in my ride thread, you will see what we are doing for the rears.

Other guys have been using the HSV styled curved slotted rotors,

Greg and the guys at GSL are the best

3. Hegsy

Hegsy New Member

Members Ride:
    VE GXP Maloo
    Hi everyone
    I have a spare pair of 4 pot Redline Brembo callipers, can someone confirm that these will bolt straight onto the rear of a GXP Maloo and that you have to go to a 350mm rear disc (plus cut down dust shield)?

4. bonners

bonners New Member

Members Ride:
    No.....
    The brembo calipers that fit nicely for the rear are CTS-V calipers

5. Hegsy

Hegsy New Member

Members Ride:
    VE GXP Maloo
    Hi Bonners

Where do you get the CTS-V callipers from?

6. bonners

bonners New Member

Members Ride:
    PM sent mate.

7. racka

racka New Member

Members Ride:
    MY12 SS-V
    How do people get ESP reprogrammed to take into account the brake upgrades?

8. bonners

bonners New Member

Members Ride:
    I'm no expert, but I have not seen that question raised once in all my research of this topic for the VE. That said, it is a valid comment so will ask a few questions. Throwing it out there, I suspect it may not be an issue as I am sure I would have seen it raised at least once. I have read a lot of forum posts on this matter.

9. racka

racka New Member

Members Ride:
    MY12 SS-V
    As much as I recognise that I'm asking the question in a forum, I don't know that forum posts are an authority on whether it'll work or not. The reason I ask is because Holden and HSV send their cars to Sweden (and pay millions) to get the ESP calibrated correctly based on the brake packages, the engine, the body type etc. So chucking a set of 6 pots onto an SS is going to throw that calculation WAY out. Speaking to a HSV engineer, he had exactly the same thoughts. Even with an SSV, it's a completely different ECU to that on an SSV Redline, so you can't just throw the brakes on an expect the ESP to use it properly. The upgraded brakes MIGHT fall within the parameters of the program, but it's unlikely from what I have already been told. However I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

10. Andy@SquashPerformance

Andy@SquashPerformance Squash Performance

Members Ride:
    2009 G8 GT
    Hey Guys,

I'm the one who first put the front and rear Camaro brakes on the G8. That 3d model of the bracket is also mine :) I just thought I would post about my experiences with the brakes since I am pretty sure I've beaten mine more than almost anyone. I've done a lot of road racing with my G8 and I also won a start/stop competition. The TVS helped the starting, but the braking was insane, nobody could believe it. I also did I think 5 track days the year I put the brakes on - here's a video from one of them Blackhawk Farms 10-20-2010 - Andy - YouTube

There are some folks in the US buying the HSV rotors and trimming the pads. We also have next to no manual transmissions (grrr) so the hand brake issue isn't as much of a problem in the US and most just run without it.

Andy

11. bonners

bonners New Member

Members Ride:
    The VE has a bias of 70% front to 30% rear. If you added the fronts( which is why others are adding the rears) then I can't see there being an issue.

Considering that none of the Holden dealers I have spoken to have mentioned the fronts needing calibrating on my SSV or SS, I simply don't believe that the ESP is so tightly engineered to accept some improvement. Take the LS7 clutch used in my car - or the tailshaft. Good for 500hp I've been advised.

One of the guys I got a kit for has installed them and said there is improvement but nothing like doing the front swap. I would expect this to be the case.

Based on your theory, guys sticking AP's or HSV brakes on a SS would need something done as well.

Sorry mate, I just can't see it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  12. K-Man

K-Man New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV
    I had the Harrop 'Moster' Kit installed. 4 piston calipers F&R, 356mm disks, braided lines the whole shebang. Never had any ESP issues, and when you think what ESP is supposed to do, Im not sure that putting bigger brakes on will really make that much of a difference to it, if at all.

13. EnFoRcEr_001

EnFoRcEr_001 Deano

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 A5
    They way ESP works is a little different ESP and abs work together. Let's say the rear end of has come around the ESP will apply the brake as hard as it can and reduce the throttle then the ABS senses when it starts locking up it reduces the brake pressure. With this process I don't think it's going to affect anything too much at all. The computer does all this in milliseconds.

14. andodge

andodge Banned

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Ute MY9.5 344RWkW
    I upgraded my front brakes with brand new Brembo's 4 spots with 355mm discs, I bought the package from Holmart online, delivered for $1050.00 they are identical to the redline SSV units but sliver in colour rather than red calipers (they are imported from the USA).

Great upgrade for the money and they took little over an hour to bolt on myself no mods required. The standard VE brakes are a complete joke.

15. evil_ss

evil_ss New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS-V
    Hey guys unjust purchased year rear callipers expecting them to be the silver CTSV units.
    What do I have to do to get them to fit? Is it just a matter of trimmed pads and the VE Hsv rotor?
    [​IMG]

16. bonners

bonners New Member

Members Ride:
    Edit: nevermind

17. bonners

bonners New Member

Members Ride:
    need to be redrilled to suit. CTSV calipers bolt straight up

18. arronm

arronm Active Member

Members Ride:
    FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
    I have just bought some brackets to fit Falcon FG six piston brembos to the front of my VE with redline discs. I will post up pics as I fit them.

19. bonners

bonners New Member

Members Ride:
    I can supply 6 piston front brembos that bolt straight up to ve by simply drilling the mounting holes out to 14mm from 12mm

20. arronm

arronm Active Member

Members Ride:
    FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
    How the 6 piston brembo mount radially.