Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can any body work out the problem and how to go by fixing it please?

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
I'd pull the regulator off, it is a 10 minute job. If the carbon brushes are short, there is you problem, if the regulator is new the brushes should be about an inch long.

I assumed here that you did not replace it yourself, otherwise you would have noticed. You would have had to remove the reg from one and pot it on the other. It is the black box at the end of the alternator.

Regulators cost ~$50.

Mike

zZBaLLeRzZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Do the bosch alternators brand new come with regulators? Or can you buy them with and with out??? maybe thats why my alternator was so cheap.. where is some places you can pay and extra hundred and fifty dollars for what i thought was exactly the same feature item.. My mate was the one who put the alternator on and i just tried too phone him and unfortunately he is a sleep.. now you got me thinking i had a look at it with out takin the alternator and removing the reg.. and it looks too me not old or dusty nor faded colour looks fresh

R

Richo2

richo

It sounds like the motor is running off your alternator so I reckon it might be a bad electrical connection running to your fuses, probably just corrosion and arcing on a connection somewhere.

Just the other day I found that when the motor warmed up, the car would't start again. I thought it was a bad ignition relay switch but it turned out to be a corroded battery terminal. (must have wiped the grease off it earlier...)

...so take all the clips apart and make sure the connections are secrure!!

D

Dead Head

I have a simular problem, only when low on petrol, so i changed the petrol filter. But sounds electrical with alt light on.