Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can cops book you at work?

Just_Ice

Reaction score
Suck it up and take it on the chin.... Of course they can do it.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
They chased my brother home once on his dirt bike, I saw him come flying up the driveway lock it up and slide sideways into the other bikes in the shed get up off the floor and then the cops pulled into the driveway lol. They certainly fined him right there and then in the shed

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
where exactly was your car parked?

it's probably your own fault for opening your mouth :) - if you had not of spoken to him, he wouldn't have known whether a full license or probational driver was driving, and would not have been able to issue a ticket.

from the "your rights - police powers in victoria" book:

Private property
The police usually need a search warrant to enter and search private property – for example, your home. However, the police may go into private property without a search warrant when:

• you let them in
• they have a reasonable belief that a serious offence will be or has been committed and they need to go into the house to arrest someone
• they need to stop a ‘breach of the peace’ – for example, a fight
• there has been a breach of an intervention order
• they are chasing someone who has escaped from prison or police custody
• they have a warrant to arrest someone
• they have a reasonable belief that illegal drugs are on the property.

so from what i understand - if your car was in a locked/restricted work carpark - you could ask nicely for them to bugger off...

although at the same time, the officer in question could just as nicely send you out a letter to present your car for a full roadworthy inspection at the cop shop :)

edit: just realised those conditions apply to searches :) - will do some more reading and report back

Luke, I believe a carpark is a special case. (found this out the hard way a few years ago). If it is available for the public to park in, even privately owned such as a shopping centre etc then the police can and will treat it as a public roadway. It is deemed as public if anybody can come and park there - ie employees and/or customers. If the carpark is behind a gate etc then it may not be considered a a public roadway and is dependant on some other factors.

Reaper

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
i drove past a cop and noticed them turn around and follow me, i pulled into work, parked, and went back to work, when i noticied a cop snooping around my car, i approached him and ended up with a fine as the rear p plate had fallen down, i was told that police cant enter my workplace and do this?

Another new member with a 1st post being a complaint....fantastic. Yes the police can book you when your car is parked anywhere because if you broke the law, then they have grounds to uphold it. And whether its the next day or whether your car is at the Queen's house or your mates house, if you broke the law, then you can be booked no matter where your car is!

tripple

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz and wh
Another new member with a 1st post being a complaint....fantastic. Yes the police can book you when your car is parked anywhere because if you broke the law, then they have grounds to uphold it. And whether its the next day or whether your car is at the Queen's house or your mates house, if you broke the law, then you can be booked no matter where your car is!

lol, i just noticed that
should be a fine for not making your first post in the my rides :w00t:

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
My god it is stupid what police can fine you for, surely a warning would be fit enough unless you are a repeat offender. Because honestly, if he can see the plate has fallen down like it was meant to be there, thats just downright mean, but you do get some harsh cops. And someone said if the police saw you then they have to right to go where ever they like and fine people, they can say what they like. If you have an unroadworthy car on your property, police pull up, say they saw you driving it 100m down the road and book you for driving it, because they "saw you", if no one was there to witness it, its the cops word against yours. Guess who is gunna have the last word??? If what you say is true police could fine people without any evidence of you driving the vehicle in the first place.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
I read that link to the Your Rights thingy. It says that even when driving on private land, the usual drink driving laws apply. That essentially means you can't have a few brews on your farm and then go paddock bashing on your own land....WHAT THE HELL????

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
I read that link to the Your Rights thingy. It says that even when driving on private land, the usual drink driving laws apply. That essentially means you can't have a few brews on your farm and then go paddock bashing on your own land....WHAT THE HELL????

Why would you want to drink and drive at anytime or anywhere for that matter if you think you are over the limit????

msubham

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo
Yes, they have the authority to charged fine if any car is not park at the right places, even they have the authority to take the car under their custody