Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can Holden detect if AFM has been deactivated?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Nope. If you know where to look in the ECM it does flip a bit that can't be reversed when a tune is installed. Most people don't know where to look, but it's big in the states for GM dealers to check cars every time they're at a dealer for modified software (whether it's been flashed back to stock or not, you can tell) - it's not policy here but you never know going forward.

Does that mean the Holden ECU updates through Holden flip the bit as well? Since technically.. that would be changing the calibration or operating system depending on updates available.
Commercial tuning software does exactly the same to that of Holdens, only difference is commercial uses a custom bootloader to read/write ECU contents.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Have ordered the newest version of the Range Technology AFM disabler.

I have been exchanging emails over the last week, and they have advised their newest version is compatible with a 2015 VF as they have their new firmware updates.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Does that mean the Holden ECU updates through Holden flip the bit as well? Since technically.. that would be changing the calibration or operating system depending on updates available.
Commercial tuning software does exactly the same to that of Holdens, only difference is commercial uses a custom bootloader to read/write ECU contents.

I believe when you connect the GDS scantool it does a check of the installed software similar to an MD5 hash. GM updates will match an authorised software hash whereas mods to the installed calibration will show non-GM software.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey dave, lets us know how you go.

Sure will.

I imagine it will take a week or two to get here..... If it works then I will get a custom catback build without marriage savers

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
The Range AFM disabler unit arrived yesterday. Works flawlessly, car sounds so much better without AFM drone.

Still going to get a custom system in place of my stock system with Marriage savers, but now I know I can escape the AFM drone, but re engage if I ever feel the need.

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
The Range AFM disabler unit arrived yesterday. Works flawlessly, car sounds so much better without AFM drone.

Still going to get a custom system in place of my stock system with Marriage savers, but now I know I can escape the AFM drone, but re engage if I ever feel the need.

Hey Dave, do you still have the link for this? and how much you end up paying include postage?
Thank you.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Put range technology AFM into Google and it's on the first page.

Was about $320 aud delivered, due to weak Aussie dollar and postage.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute

Great to hear! Interesting that it works!

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
it does, and the latest version avoids the first round issues of "wake up" that needed the unit to be re inserted on each start..... my unit just stays inserted and works each time.