Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can I Install 2-Din Floating Head Unit In VF Commodore?

djdante

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore
Hey all, so I've just purchased a VF Series 1 commodore, and definitely need to get google maps/waze on it.

There are various ways to achieve this - but what I'd most like to do is get a 10 or 11.6 inch Joying 2-din floating head unit and use that in the car - that way I can also view other content on it and generally have good flexibility.

Is this possible to install? Has anyone done something similar before? Will I need an install kit to do it? Any advice would be fantastic.

Yes I'm aware I could buy a pioneer 9" unit, but those are considerably more expensive for a lower-resolution and smaller screen and less functionality - so would rather an alternative route if possible.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
You could be the Test Pilot for the new Walkinshaw add on unit for VF1's?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You'll need to get a double-din facia kit, Aerpro makes them. Talking from experience with an Atoto one (not in a Commodore), I think you'll have a really hard time installing a floating display because of how far back the double din portion is recessed into the dash, both because it will be an absolute PITA to put in any screws that secure the screen in, and that the screen might not adjust out and reach far enough - at least both of those are the case with the Atoto in this scenario.

Looking at the Joying, there's basically almost zero adjustment - zero reach adjustment in particular - and the screen clips flat to the head unit which will 100% foul on the trim:

This is the Aerpro facia:
vf_car_play.jpg

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Maybe you can knock something up DIY to extend the screen out if the ribbon cable for the screen extends that far, or tape it down like the guy in the video does, or relocate the din mounts to another position, but as for plug and play with no modification I really doubt it will work.

djdante

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore
Yeah so actually I was thinking about how recessed the double din would be - I was thinking of using a thick set of spacers at the back since the ribbon appears to stretch quite far - even a couple inches.

chrome_vu4kkcOmKJ.png

Alternatively the ribbon on the 13.3 model seems even longer.

chrome_zkxQFyBcq9.png

Alternatively, I use spacers and long screws at the back of hte head unit itself between the Aeropro mount and the Joying unit - The aeropro adapter cables will likely give me a couple inches leeway in length which should allow it to clear the trim in the car I'm thinking/hoping.

You think that might work? I think it would look epic - I could do photos and video review on here.

Last edited:

djdante

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore
So this morning, I made some cardboard cut outs of the sizes of the 11.6 and the 13.3 unit (this one rotates).

If I install the 13.3 unit, when its horizontal, it covers most of the aircon ducts - but when it's vertical it fits quite well.

Here it is Horizontal:
IMG_0512.jpg

And here it is vertical:
IMG_0513.jpg

Alternatively, if I install the 11.3 inch one, It seems like it would leave most of the aircon ducts free.
IMG_0511.jpg

Looking at this, and combined with the fact that the screen rotation motor is an easy point of failure - I'm going to go with the 11.6" unit - I'll post photos of how it all goes so others can see if this is a viable option.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You do realise that lots of vehicle features are integrated with the MyLink system, so if you remove MyLink, you will loose some things unless the replacement head unit also provides those features.

As an example, climate control goes through MyLink… many warning tones go through MyLink…

As an FYI, Alpine made an expensive unit that was supposedly good and partly integrated with the VF systems but still didn’t do some things and didn’t do all the HUD integration… They seem to have discontinued the product and it’s next reincarnation :(

It’s all been discussed before so search the forums and spend a bit of time reading the old threads else you may spend good coin and still have a frustrating experience.

Unfortunately I can’t remember if anyone on the forum has tried to install a Joying double din unit into a VF but if so, these are the forum members you’d really want feedback from ;)

PS: and you may also want to consider crash worthiness as having a head-unit sticking proud of the dash may mean that in a side impact you could risk a broken wrist whereas same crash in a VF with standard MyLink may mean your wrist will be ok (though other parts of you may still be fubared)… After all, a vehicle cabin ain’t a lounge room…

PPS: here’s one thread that references other threads on the subject.

Last edited:

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
There are a few mylink modifications that give you carplay/better phone linking, as Skylarking has linked to. Some of these retain the original screen, others replace it. The "new" walkinshaw one (ex Kayhan) is one example.

Seems like you just want to glue an ipad to the dash though?

djdante

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore
You do realise that lots of vehicle features are integrated with the MyLink system, so if you remove MyLink, you will loose some things unless the replacement head unit also provides those features.

As an example, climate control goes through MyLink… many warning tones go through MyLink…

As an FYI, Alpine made an expensive unit that was supposedly good and partly integrated with the VF systems but still didn’t do some things and didn’t do all the HUD integration… They seem to have discontinued the product and it’s next reincarnation :(

Thank you for all of this - yes I did consider that - I don't believe I'll personally lose much functionality - The HVAC will go through okay from what I can see since the aeropro system passes that in - and I don't have a HUD to worry about. The rest that I may lose - I figure I'll gain a lot more. I looked into a Pioneer system 9" at an audio installer up here, but again I've tried aftermarket head units from the big brands and their OS is always pretty meh and you pay such a high amount for them.

djdante

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore
Seems like you just want to glue an ipad to the dash though?

Well see the systems to integrate into the existing screen are around $1000 - This 11.6 joying, and the aeropro mounting kit together amount to 1100 - so I'd pay 1100 for a lot more functionality and a much bigger, brighter, higher resolution screen.

Also, I pretty much do want an ipad thing ;) 6 years ago I had a 2008 xr8, and I literally did just glue an ipad (well.,.. mounted it permanently) on top of the stereo unit. Was perfect for me, except that I had a cable coming out the side to power it. (acknowledging car prices now, I'm very sorry I sold that)

I'm a big tech guy... I use a 32" IPS monitor and a 49" oled tv for day to day work on my desk for some reference point. I like screen real estate - it makes navigation and video watching etc. much better. The amount of times I'd arrive somewhere and have a bit of time to kill, so watch some youtube on the ipad I had in my old car, makes me pretty sure I'd do the same thing in the current one.