Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can I run a transmission cooler under normal driving conditions?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I've tried to keep my revs at under 1500 like some say you need to when cold and taking off. I've come to the realisation this really isn't possible without a lot of pig. Now I try to stay around 2000 which is ok, just, but hard to shift at those low revs, especially when cold.
Generally under about 3000rpm is fine when cold from what Ive read as well as using light throttle (don’t lug it). I normally never go over about 2500rpm in any case unless I’m on a spirited drive as thats normally plenty of rpms to accelerate at a decent pace with the V8.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Can I suggest to run the much better pwr cooler on your transmission and use the transmission cooler section of the radiator to cool your power steering.
I'm not certain but I was under the impression that anything that uses automatic transmission fluid doesn't have quite the same warming up requirements as, for example engine bearings and engine oil.

While RPM is definitely a concern for a cold engine, load is probably more of an issue.
I knew somebody with a steep driveway and all of their vehicles had premature piston ring and cylinder wall wear, due to that immediate heavy load on the vehicles heading up the driveway and up the mountain they lived on.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Cheers guys. I’ll get the transmission cooler done when I get the transmission serviced

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Serviced every 20-30,000km with fresh fluid an filter.

Generally I've run stock valve bodies with a bit more line pressure in the tune to firm up the shifts (which as a byproduct creates less slip and less heat).

That being said, I drive like an 85 year old on the street. I don't floor the car or accelerate hard, I don't do skids, I don't think I've ever even been wide open throttle or to the redline on the street.

They only get abused at the track which is maybe once or twice a year.

If you service them regularly, keep them cool, and don't drive like a boy racer they'll look after you.
Have you ever used a B&M transmission shift kit? If so, any good or should I just get line pressure adjusted? The b&M shift kit has 2 pressure settings, which you choose when you install it.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Have you ever used a B&M transmission shift kit? If so, any good or should I just get line pressure adjusted? The b&M shift kit has 2 pressure settings, which you choose when you install it.
Yeah I have, they are ok, not as good as the transgo ones, just heed my warning and do the first stage of the kit and don't do the full neck snapping one.

The shifts are unbearably hard if you do the more race oriented install. Which will eventually flog out mounts, tailshaft uni's etc quicker, it's designed more for strip applications than street.

The stage 1 install firms up the shift to a nice level for the street in my opinion.

Just be very very careful during the install, you have to drill holes into your valve body and you also have to remove a series of check balls and springs etc which need to go back in the same places.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Yeah I have, they are ok, not as good as the transgo ones, just heed my warning and do the first stage of the kit and don't do the full neck snapping one.

The shifts are unbearably hard if you do the more race oriented install. Which will eventually flog out mounts, tailshaft uni's etc quicker, it's designed more for strip applications than street.

The stage 1 install firms up the shift to a nice level for the street in my opinion.

Just be very very careful during the install, you have to drill holes into your valve body and you also have to remove a series of check balls and springs etc which need to go back in the same places.
Cheers. Why aren’t they as good as the trans go ones? Shift quality or actual quality which could cause the transmission to have a shorter life.
The car is daily driven, so I will just go stage 1. Cheers for the tips

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Cheers. Why aren’t they as good as the trans go ones? Shift quality or actual quality which could cause the transmission to have a shorter life.
The car is daily driven, so I will just go stage 1. Cheers for the tips
The shift quality is a bit better, and the parts they use are a bit better.

But for a daily driver I think the B&M one would be fine.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
The shift quality is a bit better, and the parts they use are a bit better.

But for a daily driver I think the B&M one would be fine.
Thanks. I figure that I might as well get a shift kit while the Kms on the transmission are at around 160xxx. Honestly, those bm ratchet shifter kits look good too, but probably pointless for daily driving. Will it hurt to manually down shift gears if the car has a shift kit?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Thanks. I figure that I might as well get a shift kit while the Kms on the transmission are at around 160xxx. Honestly, those bm ratchet shifter kits look good too, but probably pointless for daily driving. Will it hurt to manually down shift gears if the car has a shift kit?
I've never had a problem downshifting, however with any auto never downshift to 1st while moving, always come to a complete stop first.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There are a few things you can do on the VR trans to help it. One is getting the valve body reamed and a bigger valve fitted, which takes care of a common problem with these. Also a Transgo reverse boost valve will help smooth up shifts while adding more line pressure. A Corvette servo is a good idea too but they are fairly hard to fit and set up. A 3500 stally is worth it too, even with mild upgrades.