Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can I start my car with the Manifold off the engine?

Slappy bruh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
I need to change out one of my coils and have found out I can actually lift the manifold off the motor without having to split it, new gaskets etc.

All the videos I've seen on YouTube where they've looked for a dud coil the car had been running and they just unplug them 1 at a time, but I don't know if I can do that with the manifold lifted off the motor. I don't wanna go messing up my engine trying to fix this little annoyance.

Cheers for any insight guys, much appreciated!

EDIT: Never mind, I'm pretty certain this is a super dumb question now that I've done a little more research.

Is there any way to visually identify a dud coil? Otherwise I'll be lifting this off up to 6 times trying to get rid of my motor stutter lol

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No visual way unless it's failed spectacularly. You can remove and measure the coil resistance to see if that shows anything.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think there is a clip underneath the plug.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
remove and replace plugs and coils in one go , worse case you change one coil this week then another aweek later and then plugs etc etc .
if one is going bad then other may soon follow , could be a dud injector too or split gasket causing your issue .

as for running engine with manifold off NOOOOOOOOOOO .

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
To get coil plugs off you just slide the grey clip backwards then push in the little black tab button thing in the middle while you pull the plug off. The black thing might be underneath I can't remember...

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Are your injectors not mounted in your manifold??? You could start a pretty impressive engine bay fire if you tried.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The manifold must come off to gain full and unfettered access to the coils/plugs and ancillaries. A pair of right angle needle-nose pliers work well for removing the clips. As for the thought of starting the engine with the business top removed — don't do that! It is the lowest hit of bastardry to adorable Commodores....