Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can the Cam?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Ok, so I'm off to Gentech in Canberra with my (auto) Motorsport shortly. I've put it off as long as I could! I've researched a bit re cam/no cam, cam choice, over time, but remain undecided.
Now I want the car to have PERFECT manners in traffic e.g. no surge whatsoever! I don't want to effect the amazing balance, poise and symmetry of the various mechanical and computerised systems, that make this car such a joy to drive, to be negatively effected. Just f 98 r a lopey idle and peak power. I also want at least the same, but ideally more bottom to mid range torque and throttle response.
Am I expecting too much re the above after a cam install? Of course the tune is critical, but less so than can choice IMO.
I'll discuss this in detail with the blokes at GT. But, I'm interested in what others have done.
Combo will be either (Roto-Fab CAI and 2.5 inch cat back already fitted):
Headers
Hi flow cats
2.5" Exhaust
Tune
Or;
Above plus say a 216/228 duration (112-114) LSA ~580-600 lift cam. Something like say a VCM232 or 685.
So, yourcomments please blokes? Remembering this car is a keeper for me. Do I cam it or not? If I do, how will it behave with ~ the above cam specs and a good tune?
Cheers!

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
If you want PERFECT manners in traffic, don't cam. Though it's personal choice. Some people get a hard on with all that comes with a cam (rough idle, fumes, bad manners, etc).

The tune will be more critical than you think . Things like the 'blip' on downchanges, and traction control can be affected (or disappear altogether) by a bad tune. My tuner finally sorted most of the issues out with mine, and its like it has a different cam. Much better manners

Last edited:

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Small cam like that it's a waste to me. It it's a keeper maybe a basic low boost supercharger and you can always remove later.

Or a lower diff ratio

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Ok, so I'm off to Gentech in Canberra with my (auto) Motorsport shortly. I've put it off as long as I could! I've researched a bit re cam/no cam, cam choice, over time, but remain undecided.
Now I want the car to have PERFECT manners in traffic e.g. no surge whatsoever! I don't want to effect the amazing balance, poise and symmetry of the various mechanical and computerised systems, that make this car such a joy to drive, to be negatively effected. Just f 98 r a lopey idle and peak power. I also want at least the same, but ideally more bottom to mid range torque and throttle response.
Am I expecting too much re the above after a cam install? Of course the tune is critical, but less so than can choice IMO.
I'll discuss this in detail with the blokes at GT. But, I'm interested in what others have done.
Combo will be either (Roto-Fab CAI and 2.5 inch cat back already fitted):
Headers
Hi flow cats
2.5" Exhaust
Tune
Or;
Above plus say a 216/228 duration (112-114) LSA ~580-600 lift cam. Something like say a VCM232 or 685.
So, yourcomments please blokes? Remembering this car is a keeper for me. Do I cam it or not? If I do, how will it behave with ~ the above cam specs and a good tune?
Cheers!

I’d say yes to the cam but something just a little bigger than the 216/228 you’ve quoted.

As you know the tune with just the CAI and exhaust mods without the cam is going to make a big improvement to the bottom end but the right cam will also add to that bottom end improvement.

Even a mid size to big cam will usually improve low down performance over stock but they also start to bring other factors into play.

As you’ve already indicated you’ll be seeking advice from Gentech, I’d accept what they say about the right cam to suit your road manners requirements and make sure you let us know the cam specs if you go down that road.

Last edited:

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
I'd go with a smaller split something like 222/228-112 under .600 lift

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Swapping in such a small cam is a huge waste of money and effort for the very little you'll achieve back out of it.

Second charging it later if you 100% want no change in manners.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If you want perfect manners and a performance gain that's worth the cash, you'll need to go cam, histall and tune to match. You won't notice a 3000rpm histall on the street in terms of driveablity - all it'll do is stop it surging at the lights and give you much better acceleration when you plant your foot.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Thanks for the responses gents.
I'm only looking for say 300/320 rwkw. Of course bigger specs will give me more top end. But, there are compromises of you go too big. I'll see what the Gentech boys recommend (excl Walkinshaw kits).

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Thanks for the responses gents.
I'm only looking for say 300/320 rwkw. Of course bigger specs will give me more top end. But, there are compromises of you go too big. I'll see what the Gentech boys recommend (excl Walkinshaw kits).

If you only want this kind of power and want road manners, sounds like a cam is redundant! Surely something like my 385kw pack would suit and be more economical? I'm making around 305rwkw. It's true most power is at the top end but is another ~$4000 worth it for a touch more that will be barely noticable?

Happydaze

Happydaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE T30
I got a 224 230 114 in my LS2 auto. Factory stall, great manners, no surging. Nice lump & good power gain. Also boost friendly.