Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

caps lock time

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Newsflash!!! There are retards in every industry.

Even intelligent, well educated people with multiple degrees can seem retarded at times.

The most educated people can be utter retards.
Intelligence and education are two very different things. Most people seem to associate one with the other.

Well said Calaber.

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
I asked for an "oil filter for an LS1"

is it a V8? (are you ####ing serious?... you're fired right there. You don't know what an LS1 is and you work in a parts store.. yeah OK, only in Midland I suppose.)

"yes."

what series is it?

"it's VX, but they should be all the same."

is it supercharged? (.... wtf? this should have rung alarm bells, but I didn't think this guy was that retarded.)

"no"

*finds oil filter, takes money, prints receipt.

dump filter
new filter on....... wtf? Z154... you ####ing idiot, RepcoMan. This is a V6 filter..

Sounds like you need to improve your act. You have an LS1 and you dont even know the code for the oil filter, surely you should leave the demanding task of putting the right oil in it and the correct filter to a mechanic, but you expect some teenager that doesnt even drive to know every engine oil filter combo for every car in Australia?
Only an idiot would change the oil without double checking they had the correct filter.

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
Sounds like you need to improve your act. You have an LS1 and you dont even know the code for the oil filter, surely you should leave the demanding task of putting the right oil in it and the correct filter to a mechanic, but you expect some teenager that doesnt even drive to know every engine oil filter combo for every car in Australia?
Only an idiot would change the oil without double checking they had the correct filter.

He didn't have to know the oil filter combo for the car he had the model of car and knew it was for a V8 engine. The fact he picked a V6 filter off the shelf demostrates that he is an idiot as the computer would have given him the code for the correct filter. So he either can't read what's on the computer screen properly or he wasn't paying any attention to what he was doing, either way the guy failed at his job.

So what if he doesn't know the filter code off the top of his head, I've changed the oil filter on VN/VP V6's countless times yet I hardly ever remember the code off memory. Your post fails.

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
He didn't have to know the oil filter combo for the car he had the model of car and knew it was for a V8 engine. The fact he picked a V6 filter off the shelf demostrates that he is an idiot as the computer would have given him the code for the correct filter. So he either can't read what's on the computer screen properly or he wasn't paying any attention to what he was doing, either way the guy failed at his job.

So what if he doesn't know the filter code off the top of his head, I've changed the oil filter on VN/VP V6's countless times yet I hardly ever remember the code off memory. Your post fails.

I understand that there are some such as yourself for whom part numbers are gobbly gook, but if that's the case, write things down, look them up.

I think you missed the point of my post: if you are going to work on your own car, take some responsibility for making sure you have the correct part nos before you go and do work on it. Yeah, stuff happens, someone may have misread the part no, read the line above for the v6, but you are the turkey that is stuck with new oil in the motor and having to put the old oil filter back on. If its too much to check out part numbers for yourself, pay a mechanic to work on your car.
I dont own a ls1, but geez, it took me 30 secs to go to the ryco website and work out that the only v8 engines the only listings were for gen III v8s, and perhaps that covers ls1, and the code is Z160......way too easy! Its called being an informed consumer.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'd be willing to bet that the parts manual for the oil filters doesn't refer to "LS1" alongside the relevant Holden models where that engine is fitted. It's more likely to simply have two listings - one for "V6" and one for "V8". Certainly, the parts catalogues I've looked at are printed like that. I don't see the VZ being listed as "Alloytec" or "LS1". For the VZ, where the engine changed mid-model from the 5.7 to the 6.0 litre, it would probably list 5.7 or 6.0, or models up to a certain date, then models after that date, if the filters were different.

So Savage1987, instead of trying to overpower the shop assistant with knowledge, why not just ask for a filter for a "VX/Y/Z V8"? Would have saved some hassles, I imagine. And knowing what filter your own car uses would have overcome the problem of going home, draining the oil, THEN finding out that you had the wrong filter. Just imagine if you had taken the time to know what the filter number was before you went to the shop - you could have just given him the correct part number in the first place and your visit to the shop would have been much less stressful.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

I wouldn't boast about not knowing the part number for the filter if you've changed it countless times. I think your post fails too.

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
Not boasting just stating a fact. My memory has never been very good but regardless of that I'll spend the extra minute to go through a parts catalogue and double check the part number myself. I'd prefer to do that and know for sure I'm getting the right thing than be relying on someone else who is probably only working there because it's the only job they were able to get.

I actually worked as a storeman in a Mack truck repair center a few years back and was taught to never go off memory for part numbers, mainly because truck parts are regularly superseded by newer parts with often completely different numbers. If you were to go off memory in those cases you'd have a bit of explaining to do after handing out what are now the incorrect part, particularly if the customer has to come back with a warranty claim on the incorrect part you gave them.

Regardless of anything else though, Sam should have been able to rely on the guy giving him the correct oil filter after giving him the model and engine of the car.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I'd be willing to bet that the parts manual for the oil filters doesn't refer to "LS1" alongside the relevant Holden models where that engine is fitted. It's more likely to simply have two listings - one for "V6" and one for "V8". Certainly, the parts catalogues I've looked at are printed like that. I don't see the VZ being listed as "Alloytec" or "LS1". For the VZ, where the engine changed mid-model from the 5.7 to the 6.0 litre, it would probably list 5.7 or 6.0, or models up to a certain date, then models after that date, if the filters were different.

So Savage1987, instead of trying to overpower the shop assistant with knowledge, why not just ask for a filter for a "VX/Y/Z V8"? Would have saved some hassles, I imagine. And knowing what filter your own car uses would have overcome the problem of going home, draining the oil, THEN finding out that you had the wrong filter. Just imagine if you had taken the time to know what the filter number was before you went to the shop - you could have just given him the correct part number in the first place and your visit to the shop would have been much less stressful.

Exactly. I said that earlier, no Ryco book lists a filter for an "LS1"....Basically, they're known as 3.8 litre V6 and 5.7 litre V8, that's all the info the book lists.

We get wrong parts from time to time at work, it happens, just because it does happen doesn't mean the guy "fails". Also, for the record i'm sure we'd be in a much tighter situation trying to explain to the customer why there car isn't finished, than some dude servicing his car who gets 1 wrong filter....Suck it up princesses.

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Regardless of anything else though, Sam should have been able to rely on the guy giving him the correct oil filter after giving him the model and engine of the car.

If he had given the full model and engine details yes he would have been fine. He clearly stated though all he said was 'LS1', we has been covered in this thread, that it is not enough acurate information to look up to part number in any parts catalogue

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
If he had given the full model and engine details yes he would have been fine. He clearly stated though all he said was 'LS1', we has been covered in this thread, that it is not enough acurate information to look up to part number in any parts catalogue

Read further, after that he then supplied the model - VX and engine type - V8