Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Audio 101: Speakers that woof! and Kennels to put them in.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Go a single 10 inch, far better for short sharp bass. You will find that 12's will distort a little with metal and rock.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
A 12" can be just as responsive as a 10". The quality of the subwoofer has alot more to do with it than its size. Another option for mounting an amp is to make up a simple false floor out of MDF and chuck it under there. Keeps it safe and away from any other junk you decide to pile in there as well.

P.S. - Aaaww... you mean the kids and wife aren't metal heads? :)

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
or else u can b like me and get 2 cheaper 12" clarion subs for no reason other than the guy i tried 2 talk the price down, took it down tonnes so it ended up being like half the price of an alpine 12" setup, they crank heaps loud, just now im gonna have 2 buy better speakers 2 keep up with them

dan-wess

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY S Pac Series II
Cheers for all the good advice, will take it into consideration, and i know it's a shame the wife and kids don't like metal but it's a bit late to trade them now LOL
Dan

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
azzfox said:
the vibration will reduce its life by heaps
very debatable, that is. i wouldn't be concerned about reducing the life from 80 years to only 15? personally i would not do it from a security point of view. also there are only 2 wires to disconnect if you need to remove the box if the amp is not mounted on it. its more work to remove the amp and all, power wires are free so the fuse needs to be removed, rcas can otuch each other causing problems in the h/u (blowing the ground track right?).

MikeVXSS

!!!GO TIMMY GO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7
ok 12 volt i made a thread without seeing this one so soz bout that but my q was in relation to what sort of box do i need to make for my sub. i listen to metal, heavy and rock, rap and a bit of its its its techno. now the sub is a 12 inch boss audio, 4 ohm, 1200 watt cheap n nasty and it didnt come with any specs at all!! not even a friggen template lol. its not top of the line as i dont need it for the work car and just want the best sound possible for it. oh and i bought a 500 watt amp for it . dont know what all the rms stuff is. but can ya help???

MikeVXSS

!!!GO TIMMY GO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7
just on your seal enclosures? is it better to have a sealed one or ported? i was goijng to build my own but decided it would be cheaper if i bought one already made. the one that iu found in the shop is sealed? is that gonna be ok for the 12 inch subby i have? i dont know a great deal about this stuff lol. also do i need one of those fuses that go from the battery to the amp. is it nessecy or is it a show thing? thanks guys.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Hey buddy...long time no see around here!

One of those prefab sealed enclosures will be just fine. It's not perfect but then neither is the sub so does it really matter?

That fuse is not for show it VERY necessary. It needs to be within 18" of the battery. Remember without that fuse and the insulation rubs off the wire anywhere then you will start accidentally welding things together until it causes a fire or worse yet...the battery explodes.

MikeVXSS

!!!GO TIMMY GO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7
lolyea long time no see. cheers man me dont wants the car to splode, or do i being that its the ford for work :yeah: . went and bought an amp kit with all the bits n bobs fuse in wires n the go. so fully rewired the old sub n amp set up and shes running friggen awesome. for a cheap and nasty set up id rate it 6 out of 10.which is enough for driven to an from work. thanks for ya help there 12 volt . alls i gotta do now is learn what all the lpf, hpf, flat ,friggen db ups n downs, gain and ill be right lol