Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car keeps stalling when put into drive

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
Watching with mild interest. Mine does the stalling thing too once it's in closed loop, but I'm now used to applying a tiny throttle input when I go into Drive to mitigate it. Also not applying any steering input while shifting into drive reduces the incidence. I don't have the stall on cornering issue though.

With mine, what happens is that as drive engages, the RPM drop to like 400 or so, the computer realises it about 0.5 seconds later and increases the idle speed. Mine is an untouched motor @513,000km though so these little issues don't surprise me.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Stalling on cornering was a common issue on the VS V6, check the elbow and vacuum line for cracks on the bottom of the throttlebody and make sure it's fitted properly.

edit: there was another thread recently about the engine stalling when going into reverse but I can't remember what the fix was or what the thread title was either ATM.

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
It certainly sounds like a vacuum leak of some kind and around the throttle body area I'd have to agree with as the rubber fittings become loose over time and allow air to enter the system.

Robbie Waters

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
Thank you for the advise guys but I’ve changed all rubbers ect and have replaced 2 throttle body’s . It’s got me f*** on why it’s doing what it’s doing. I will have a look around and see if I can find any other sort of vacuum leaks. And another thing I thought I might add whilst I’m hear. The car starts in drive and reverse. Not sure why. I’ve replaced the neutral start switch 3 times and have even replaced transmission and for some strange reason it still starts in drive. Maybe this could have something to do with it stalling I’m not sure.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
If this car starts while in Drive or Reverse then this tells us that someone has played with the wiring as it's just not possible to do that if the start circuit is interrupted which is what the inhibitor switch does when the selector is in any other position apart from Neutral or Park.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Another thing to note is that VY injectors run on 3.5bar pressure, VS run on 3bar.

Already the injectors aren't flowing enough, couple that with mace chip, and other performance mods, ecu is already over compensating.

I'd be trying to get it running smooth on OEM parts and work my way from there

Robbie Waters

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
So maybe a tune then? And about the car starting in drive, possibly when they’ve put the gas in they’ve done something to wiring?