Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Stalls suddenly on LPG. Starts again straight away.

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2 V6 + VZ Acclaim Wagon
Hi Everyone,
I've had a really annoying prolem with my VT which started not long after I had the LPG system fitted. The car will usually start OK, and I can drive off, but get say 100m down the road and it just goes dead. No cough and splutter, just stalls. If I knock it into neutral and turn the ignition to start, it will normally start and off I go again. This can sometimes happen a couple of times. I have been trying for ages to identify what might triger it but I am still unsure. It seems to only happen when the engine is cold, but is usually worse if it is a hot day. I was suspecting that a faulty valve in my ac ducting might have been resposible. My car does the really annoying thing where I give a bit of throttle and the AC starts blowing on the windscreen instead of towards me, untill I back off the throttle. I thought this sudden surge/drop in manifold vacuum might have been doing something funny, but I'm not so sure after finding it still stalled with the AC turned off. Definitley seems to happen more under heavy acceleratiopn, or if you go from heavy acceleration to backed off straight away, like stopping at an intersection half way up a steep hill.

The car was back at the LPG installers constantly, and it did fault for them, but they have no idea why. checked the install multiple times and cannot work it out.

It is now at the point where I will probly just get rid of the car because my wife just finds it too unreliable to drive on LPG. IT DOESN'T STALL ON PETROL!!

If anyone has any experiences/tips/ or advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Ben.

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
I guess this one is a mystery to everyone then?

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
what system has been installed and by who ?

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi strgas. Im not sure what brand the system is. Where is the best place to look to find out? I can tell you the tank is a Manchester tank, but i don't know about the rest of the system. It was installed by Thomas Jag and Mech. in Newcastle.
Ben.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
can you put a pic of the under bonnet up.

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah, i can. Will duck out and take one now

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here are a few pics of the gas system. The only branding I could see was LONGAS?

Ben.

Attachments

• IMGP0045_resize..jpg
    IMGP0045_resize..jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 2,852
  • IMGP0044_resize..jpg
    IMGP0044_resize..jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,563
  • IMGP0047_resize..jpg
    IMGP0047_resize..jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,784
  • IMGP0046_resize..jpg
    IMGP0046_resize..jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 2,108

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok its a simple ring mixer setup with maybe a stefanalli processor or emmegas , is there a hose running from the rear of the convertor to the dirty side of the air box for ram pressure , cant quite see one in the pic's , It maybe running lean on deccel and stalling out due to lack of balance line from the airbox or simply the mixture setting is to lean at idle ?

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, it's got a hose (about 12mm ID) running all the way up to the duct at the front of the bonnet and is plumbed in just insite the opening to the duct. I am just about to have it serviced by Unique Auto Gas up here, so maybe it is worth getting them to check this out, or is there a way I can adjust it myself untill it gets serviced? Lean on deccel. sounds about right.

Ben.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
you can adjust the mixtures using a mutli meter and reading the 02 sensor output , on the convertor there should be two points of adjustment one is idle screw and the other sensitivity adjustment . with the engine running auto in gear if auto if manual just A/C on handbrake on chock under wheel adjust the idle screw till you see a voltage reading between 500 - 600 mil volts.